Go Down

Topic: GSM Shield causing unexpected behavior (Read 733 times) previous topic - next topic

Recently I got an Arduino Uno R3 with a GSM Shield(this one: http://www.seeedstudio.com/wiki/GPRS_Shield).

Off my Arduino I was getting a good reading off of an analog source. I put the shield on top, but still turned off and I still get a good reading. I turn on the shield and the analog readings become incorrect. Is there anything about this shield that I need to turn on or off to make the analog readings work right?

MarkT

This is entirely expected behaviour (!)

You have a radio transmitter (GSM module) right next to a sensitive analog circuit - this means you are injecting RFI (radio frequency interference) into the analog circuit.  You have to keep the radio emissions away from your analog circuit - this means shielding and/or distance.  You also need to pay close attention to layout within your analog circuit to make it less susceptible to RFI - this is rather a complex concept to get across in a short post though.

Briefly you should try and arrange your analog circuit on a ground plane, and ensure there are no loops (ie run a signal wire right next to its ground return - preferably in a twisted pair or as a shielded coax cable).

If the GSM shield can use a remote aerial this can help.  You ideally want the entire circuit in a metal box with only the aerial sticking out.
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Thanks for the response. The antenna doesn't seem to solve my issue, though I did find that the shield had it's own port for analog communication elsewhere, I plug into that one and it reads just fine now!

MarkT

RFI can be elusive to deal with - some setups work nicely, others have a lot of interference, its all due to the complexities of antenna design (in fact, accidental antennas can be present in a particular piece of equipment by chance, which resonate at the particular RF frequency of interest.  Sounds like you have a solution though :)

Incidentally GSM phones are particularly bad at generating interference because they use time-division multiplexing, sending pulsed packet streams which cause morse-code like interference on many audio devices.
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy