Go Down

Topic: RGB LED HELP! (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

CameoCream

Hi

I help with the programming for an RGB led.
The problem is, unlike other LED's I have seen, it only has two prongs....... so i have no idea how to program each individual colour. I know it is an RGB because when its at maximun voltage, it flashes all these colours by itself, so Im a little confused.

boa279

2 lead RGB LED's dont exist.  you would have to have an led with 4 leads for it to be a RGB LED.  one lead for each color and a common anode or cathode.  Unfortunatly you have a single color LED.

Jack Christensen

Or possibly a two-color LED, I think they make for instance red and green LEDs in one package connected in reverse parallel.
MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

CameoCream

Well my LED has two pins, and uses three colours....... which is why Im so confused

AWOL

2 lead RGB LED's dont exist.

But they do on ebay.
Not controllable RGB LEDs, but LEDs with built-in blinker ICs.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Jack Christensen

Well my LED has two pins, and uses three colours....... which is why Im so confused

Perhaps you have a datasheet or a link to the part that you could share. There are literally millions of different LEDs out there, so it's pointless speculating about which one this happens to be.
MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

CameoCream

Perhaps you have a datasheet or a link to the part that you could share. There are literally millions of different LEDs out there, so it's pointless speculating about which one this happens to be.

No I don't sorry. U just needed an RGB for Uni, and they gave me that one....... so I dunno. I think I'll buy a proper one to save myself the time.

Grumpy_Mike

U just needed an RGB for Uni, and they gave me that one

So if they are expecting you to control it with an arduino all you can do is turn it on or off. I think either your Uni made a mistake, or they are idiots.

bobbintb

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to point out that the previous posters are incorrect in that there are multicolored LEDs with only 2 leads.

KirAsh4

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to point out that the previous posters are incorrect in that there are multicolored LEDs with only 2 leads.

Care to point one out?  Specifically what the original poster wanted, an RGB LED.

Docedison

I would assume that the OP wanted to do something besides watch it flash?..?
Unfortunately ALL the 2 wire RGB LED''s DO IS FLASH... Great attention getters though, nice for overcurrent alarms.

Bob
--> WA7EMS <--
"The solution of every problem is another problem." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

michinyon

You'll also find a lot of "phototransistors" with only 2 leads, on ebay.

Grumpy_Mike

You'll also find a lot of "phototransistors" with only 2 leads, on ebay.

What relevance is that? Most photo transistors only have two wires.

michinyon

How can you have a transistor with only 2 wires ?  Transistors have 3.

I suspect that these alleged 2-wire transistors, are actually diodes.

Grumpy_Mike

Because the base is not brought out but is just recieving a photo current. Photo diodes work and are connected in your circuit a diffrent way.

Go Up