The Audio Post

Hi,
Every forum has one... So what is everyone listening to ?

Duane B

rcarduino.blogspot.com

So what is everyone listening to

SmoothJazz.com :wink:

Noooo !!!!

I am listening to Pharoah Sanders very very un smooth jazz.

Pharaoh Sanders quite literally blows my mind.

Duane B

I'm listening to GURU's "Who's there" literally the Real Rap it is.

Hi,

A guy in work today liked my Audino so much he used it to record a new ringtone for himself.

http://code.google.com/p/tinkerit/wiki/Auduino

It's not my work, I have just built one.

On another note, I have moved on from Pharoah Sanders to Peter Brontzmann, but now I am wondering if I have taken this free jazz thing too far ?

Duane B

rcarduino.blogspot.com

but now I am wondering if I have taken this free jazz thing too far ?

Is that possible? :slight_smile:

I have no idea how 'free' most of it is or even if free is a good thing. I can't get enough of Pharoah Sanders but outside of his solos most tracks are quite restrained.

Any suggestions of what else I should try ?

Duane B

rcarduino.blogspot.com

Siouxie & The Banshees and The Clash.

Listening to, recommending or both ?

Duane B

Was listening to both. Now listening to The Bats from New Zealand . I reccomend all three bands.

I saw this amazing italian band called ZU many years ago. Back then they where classified as "extreme jazz" ... now its called math-rock. whatever. sounded like free jazz to me. very un-smooth. you should check them out DuanB

currently listening to: zilch - both my mp3 player and my sound card died simultaneously.

At the moment, I'm listening to the air conditioner. :stuck_out_tongue:

For some reason, shuffle play on my PC at work has been feeding me a lot of Ozric Tentacles lately. Which is fine, but it's a bit jarring when it's followed up by Pylon. At home, most recently, I've been bouncing around tracks by the Foo Fighters.

DuaneB:
A guy in work today liked my Audino so much he used it to record a new ringtone for himself.

Just watched some Auduino vids at YouTube. That's awesome -- going on the project list.

hi,

I love thE Auduino, you can spent ages messing around looking for new sounds or just wigging out with it. It's incredibly simple to build as well, just 5 analogue inputs.

As a tip for anyone building a new one, mine has five potentiometers however if I was to build it again I would replace the main tone control with a slider, something like a cross fader, no technical reason I just think it would workout nicely - set the sound with the pots, then jam with the slider.

I am off to check out some math rock now.

Duane b
rcarduino.blogspot.com

DuaneB:
however if I was to build it again I would replace the main tone control with a slider, something like a cross fader, no technical reason I just think it would workout nicely - set the sound with the pots, then jam with the slider.

I was thinking about that some last night. I don't know how this works, but something like what's used in the Hiwatt Echo Theremin would be cool. Some comenters at music sites have complained that pitch control is difficult with that. I don't know, I've listened to some samples, and it sounded cool, but then it was being used more as a sound effect than an instrument.

A nice idea I had on the way to work this morning while listening to the only John Coltrane track I like - Ascension, was to put some buttons on the Auduino that would play a blues lick around the selected note. One of the Auduino modes maps the pot values to the pentatonic scale so you could easily play licks up and down the octaves by simply turning the pot.

As for the Thermin, there is a youtube video of a guy playing an Auduino fitted with peizo knock sensors and an LED/Light sensor pair.

You can use anything that could be connected to an Analogue input.

Duane B

rcarduino.blogspot.com

here's my take on theremin: Arduino Forum

Check this out, front page news here today and the first time I have heard of this -

http://www.7daysindubai.com/New-audio-high-download-drug-experts-worried/story-16098059-detail/story.html

Duane B

rcarduino.blogspot.com

DuaneB:
Every forum has one... So what is everyone listening to ?

Got this on the radio driving home from work. Not sure how new it is, but it's a good track.

DuaneB:
Check this out, front page news here today and the first time I have heard of this -

http://www.7daysindubai.com/New-audio-high-download-drug-experts-worried/story-16098059-detail/story.html
://rcarduino.blogspot.com]rcarduino.blogspot.com[/url]

Not surprising. This goes right along with the brainwave entrainment stuff I first saw some years ago. LED glasses, for inducing ... I think it was Alpha waves. How do you feel when you listen to something like the hearbeats in Dark Side of the Moon.

fkeel:
here's my take on theremin: Arduino Forum

I like that. The distance sensor is a cool idea.

I was pondering a steel string on dowel, or maybe even getting fancy with a narrow fretboard, and somehow sensing the position of a finger on the string. With frets, maybe resistors tying the frets to an analog pin? I suppose with the right sort of wire, one could read the resistance of the wire directly, using anything conductive as a slide.

OK, this is cool. I had the idea in my head already that a theremin functioned using capacitance. A bit more reading, and I'm finding various beat frequency oscillator circuits, and this theremin on an Arduino.