Go Down

Topic: Pinball (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

willhew

Hi all, I am building a Jurassic Park 3 pinball. Is arduino a suitable thing to use for this? It is a fullsize pinball machine.

Thanks,

Will

PaulS

Is arduino a suitable thing to use for this?

Depends. What do you want the Arduino to do?

willhew

It needs to run 7 or 8 solenoids 300 LEDs, 128x32 DMD, and similar things to run a full size pinball machine

Steen

it will be hard, and you leds will have to be multiplexed in an extremely good way to have as less connections as possible.
the solenoids should work using relais, so the power does not have to come from the arduino itself, or you'll kill it in not time
Do you have driver chips and stuff for the DMD, i mean, how many pins does it need? and do you have to write your own lib to have it working, or are there already libs made for this?

and similar things

can you specify this? similar seems wide. Do you mean sound, buttons, sensors etc ? since you have to detect the ball somehow, you'll need sensors too...

GoForSmoke

A lot of the parts on a regular pinball machine are automatic, simple circuits will do for most faster and easier than trying to do everything with the MCU.

If you run the leds and other display elements from serial->parallel shift registers then you won't need to multiplex and the registers can be used to power the leds and maybe the rest. The code to run those will boil down to feeding strings of bits to a chained set of chips and giving them a go signal which you can do amazingly fast using 4 pins (SPI bus). Buuuuut... 300 leds? Are they all to be independent? Even with 16-bit shift registers, that's a lot of shift registers!

Flippers, bumpers and anything that has to accelerate the ball will need real power that you can't run _through_ the Arduino, so you will be learning some good stuff there.

I find it harder to express logic in English than in Code.
Sometimes an example says more than many times as many words.

Go Up