Go Down

Topic: How to get Arduino to sense if a transformer is switched on. (Read 921 times) previous topic - next topic

mkobine

Thanks michael_x! That worked a treat. I used the version with the diode and it's perfect!

Many thanks,
Mark

The Clever Monkey

Can I "sense" if the transformer is on and so stop the servo? I reckon the software is trivial if I can somehow figure out the electronics. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

One approach is to use a reed switch as a sensor. If there is current running through the transformer, it will create an electromagnetic field that should trip a reed switch.
I yield() for co-routines.

pylon

Why not simply power the Arduino from the 10V DC you get? OK, you loose about 1-2 seconds for boot but for driving a servo it might be fast enough.

mkobine

Thanks pylon - that's ideally what I'd like to do. I tried powering my Uno from the transformer via the jack socket but it didn't seem to like it. The transformer was supplying 12v DC and 350-700mA but I have no idea if this is too much or too little. I didn't get any lights on the board. It still works fine so at least I didn't fry it  :)

Thanks,
Mark

Go Up