Go Down

Topic: voltage divider ground problem (Read 639 times) previous topic - next topic

Andrew04R6

Hello all!

I have a 12V power source, which powers a arduino as well as a mosfet that controls a 12v computer fan.
I wanted to measure the voltage after the mosfet in relation to my pwm signal.
I created a voltage divider on the mosftet output using 100K (+ side) and 47K resistors (- side) of which the output runs to an analog pin on the arduino.
When the output of this divider is not connected to the arduino, i get what i expect, about 3.8v when the output of the mosfet is 12v.
However, when connected to the arduino analog pin, the voltage soars as the mosfet output voltage goes down. I think I'm lucky that i haven't fried it.
I am obviously not understanding how the ground is working through the arduino.

Can someone lend a hand?
Thanks everyone for you time!
-Andrew

Grumpy_Mike

Is the -ve side also connected to the arduino's ground?

Andrew04R6

I believe in one of my "experiments" to figure out what was going on, i tied the - mosfet output side to the arduino ground pin.
I wish I could remember, but it was very late last night.
Next time I will have to record my steps.

Would that normally be the correct way to do this?

Thanks for your reply!

Grumpy_Mike

As you said:-
100K (+ side) and 47K resistors (- side)

with the junction between the two resistors going to the analogue input AND the -ve of your 12V going to the arduino's ground.

Andrew04R6

Hi, yes, misunderstood what you meant.
+12v --100k--<to A0>--47k--ground

I will post a full wiring diagram tomorrow since I have a low pass filter on the pwm and some other things, I dont think they are affecting the system, but obviously i'm missing something.

Thanks!

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy