Go Down

Topic: Vitriolic respones (possible flamebait) (Read 2235 times) previous topic - next topic

Einherjer-Joe

Hello and cheers to the kind people on this board!

I have a question (and probably flamebait, not intended as such).

I've been surfing this boards in stealth mode (not registered) for some time, and I am very much turned off by some of the responses.

As a noob/newbie I am afraid of posting some questions because of the not very kind replies.....

Is it just me, or is this a very hard board "to get into"?

Cheers, and have a wonderful life

E-Joe
Einherjer-Joe
---------------------
www.arduinonorway.org
www.arduinonorge.org
www.bitraf.no

cr0sh

Is it just me, or is this a very hard board "to get into"?

Not at all - just a few simple things to keep in mind:

0. Do an honest and exhaustive search using Google and this forum's search function (and check out the old forum too); in many cases, your question has likely been answered 100 times.
1. If you use any non-common term, abbreviation, or acronym, make sure you define it early in your post (ask me how I know this).
2. Post any code, schematics, pictures, etc you have about your problem; the more info the better.
3. Don't ask us to do the work for you; let us see what you have already done to solve your problem.
4. Please make sure your comments match what the line(s) do.
5. Use the code formatting button (#) in the editor when you post your code!
6. Don't cross-post your questions!
7. Be patient and don't "bump" a thread after only half an hour.
8. Read and understand this: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Ok - number 8 isn't "mandatory", but if you understand it, you will understand why a few of us (myself included) sometimes get exasperated with the questions and comments on here.

;)
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

cr0sh

Oh - and one more thing (of everything, this ticks me off the most):

9. Make sure, if you get your problem solved, that you post in the thread what the solution was, as detailed as necessary; it doesn't matter if the solution was provided by the forum or from some other source, just post the answer (and don't post a link; if you must post a link, repost what is at the link if it is legal for you to do so in addition to the link - links die over time). There is nothing I hate more than searching for a solution, then finding someone who says "I fixed it" - but with no solution posted (psst, hey buddy, did you ever think somebody else might need the same solution later, or are you that much of a narcissist?). That really gets my hackles up...
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Einherjer-Joe

Thanks cr0sh!

I think your list should be mandatory reading before signing up to this board!

I do fully understand the frustration the old timers/Arduino black-belts must feel when answering a question for the nth time! :-)

But, I'm more in the "ignore it for the nth time camp".

With almost 20 yrs in the electronics/ITindustry, but fresh as a daisy regarding Arduino I kind of wish a more relaxed attitude.
Maybe a noob-board would solve it (ie post all your basic questions here).

Have a good one!
-E-joe
Einherjer-Joe
---------------------
www.arduinonorway.org
www.arduinonorge.org
www.bitraf.no

Jantje

One thing to remember
You don't get notified automatically when someone posts in a thread you started. You need to use the notify button.
Best regards
Jantje
Do not PM me a question unless you are prepared to pay for consultancy.
Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -

PaulS

One final point. Don't start a poll if you are not looking for information that only a poll can provide. If the fields don't make sense to you, a poll is probably NOT what you want.

And, don't go getting all pissy when berated for posting a useless poll.

Einherjer-Joe

Thanks to all for your answers and clarifications.
This looks a lot like basic common sense to me!

I'll do my best to behave and not post too many stupid questions!!  :D

Cheers
E-Joe
Einherjer-Joe
---------------------
www.arduinonorway.org
www.arduinonorge.org
www.bitraf.no

robtillaart

not post too many stupid questions!!

He who asks his questions is "dumb" for a short time, he who never asks his questions is "dumb" forever 
Chinese proverb

I like to add, even with all "rules" above this forum is quite forgiving imho.
Rob Tillaart

(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Grumpy_Mike

I'll do my best to behave and not post too many stupid questions!

There is never a stupid question or one that is too simple. I don't think I have ever seen any abuse for posting even the most basic of questions. If you don't know then you don't know so ask.

What is possible however is posting a question in a stupid way cr0sh just about covered that. Also only reviling vital information once the posters question had been answered. Like Oh I forgot to say will this work under water.

Personally what I dislike is someone ignoring what I put and carrying on as if I had never posted anything. If you don't understand terms used in a reply then ask, there are a wide variety of skill here and to spell everything out would be patronising and time consuming, but if you ask I will. Also some people asking questions are quite arrogant about it, most people don't like that. Someone once wrote "I have no interest in using code tags just to make your forum look nice, I just want my problem solved", which shows a total lack of both understanding and common courtesy.

AWOL

If you, or anyone, is upset by the tone or content of any post, you can click on "Report to Moderator", type the reasons for your concern, and we'll take a look, removing the post if necessary, admonishing or banning in extreme cases the poster if necessary.
Sometimes, we just tell you to man-up.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Nick Gammon

Your questions are welcome here. I remember the times when I didn't know some thing, and was courteously guided on how to find it out.

Having said that, questions like "I just started programming today, and my project is due in tomorrow, please send me the code" are likely to enrage people, simply because it is obviously someone trying to get their work done for them.

But if you post what you have already done, and explain in what way it doesn't meet your expectations, I'm sure lots of people are willing to help you. :)
Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info:
http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

SatCure

Newbie here.

I think a lot of problems arise because the Arduino requires knowledge of 'C' for programming, knowledge of a computer for interfacing and running the programs and also knowledge of electronic components (and especially fundamentals such as the relationship between voltage and current) for external circuits.

The arduino attracts people with an interest/expertise in one or two of these subjects but not usually all three. This results in some apparently stupid (to some people) questions such as: "how much voltage does an LED need?" *

If people took the trouble to learn the basics of all three subjects before taking the plunge, they could ask questions in a more intelligent way. Obviously this isn't gonna happen and there's a lot to be said for "learning by doing", so we have to cope with such questions. (In my own profession, I have built up an FAQ list and I simply point the questioner to the relevant FAQ, which explains what he needs to learn. No need for a rude response - just "please read this".)

*This may seem to be a perfectly reasonable question to someone who doesn't understand how an LED works. But it's rather like asking: "how much diesel fuel does my petrol lawnmower need?"

Grumpy_Mike

this results in some apparently stupid (to some people) questions

You will find that those always get answered, there is no stupid questions.
I don't think I have ever seen a vitriolic response on this site. The stupidly posed questions like asking what they have done wrong with this or that tutorial without posting a link, or saying what they have done, might get a sarcastic response but not vitriolic.

Jantje

this results in some apparently stupid (to some people) questions

You will find that those always get answered, there is no stupid questions.
I don't think I have ever seen a vitriolic response on this site. The stupidly posed questions like asking what they have done wrong with this or that tutorial without posting a link, or saying what they have done, might get a sarcastic response but not vitriolic.

Everything is perception.

Best regards
Jantje
Do not PM me a question unless you are prepared to pay for consultancy.

Grumpy_Mike

Go Up