Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Eagle + questions on routing?  (Read 2213 times)
Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

SMASH!..

thats what I have been looking for..

what other side effects will it have?

it just allows the names/values to be edited/altered on each part? does it do anything else to the part itself??  (layers)

also. when I am done 'sizing' the name/value of a component....and position it where I like.. it is still 'part' of the component?  if I move the component around.. will the name/value move/be associated with it?

Thanks

edit: just tried the smash command.. LOVE IT!.. it keeps/treats the names/values sorta like net names or labels..etc..

PERFECT!..

these tips are great..

thanks
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 11:55:42 pm by xl97 » Logged

Dubuque, Iowa, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

When you're running the CAM processor and after you've loaded the job, you can tweak where names/values/etc. are printed (bottom or top). Just select the Silk Bottom or Silk Top tab and select the layers to include.

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

ok..

so I have generated my GERBER files.. (I hope)..

OPEN CAM panel..

loaded the iTeadStudio.cam file..  (first tab)

I did nothing else but click 'process job'..

it finished.. I look in directory I have a bunch of new GERBER files generated  smiley-wink

** my question/concern is understanding more about the process of what needs to be sent to iTeadStudio?  (everything?)

** Do I attempt to edit the 'gerber' file in some sort of editor? (all the free viewers seem to not allow editing without expensive license)

** Or do I go into the .brd file.. and use the SMASH tool on every component.. and edit/alter the names/values to be places and sized (or removed all together).. before generating my GERBERS??

thanks

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

SMASH before creating gerbers.
The names & values remain attached to the parts.
If you delete one by accident, or can't find where it ended up on the board, Unsmash to get it back & then Smash again.

Do not edit the gerbers.
Edit your .brd file before creating the gerbers. Can right click each name, change its properties: size, font, etc.
Send itead all but the .sch and .brd.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

perfect.. thanks

thats how Ive been doing it so far....

Can I 'omit' a layer all together?

example.. I was thinking of omitting the tNames layer..so it doesnt print all the C1,.....C11 all over the place..

however.. I copied the S +/-  and P+/- 'text' to the tSilk.. (not _tSilk.. I dont even know the difference though..just wanted to copy it off of tNames layer.. so I could turn that off completely..but still have some text on top...

'or'..

do you recommend I go back and 'SMASH' everything.. delete those tNames I dont want.. (which is like 90% of them)..

thanks..

sidenote: sent ya email Crossroads.. smiley-wink

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Try it both ways, only takes a few seconds to create the gerbers again.
I think you can also review the Tabs at the CAM processor and see what layers it is pulling into each gerber file.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

ok..

finally back on this.. smiley

generated gerbers (several times).. installed & used viewplot to check out each 'file'..

iteadStudio seems to only use these files:

.gtl
.gbl
.gts
.gbs
.gto
.gbo
.txt (drill)

but it generates a lot files.. does itead just ignore these?. I sent them along anyways in my .zip file. 

so in a few more weeks I should have some PCB's made for one of my projects!  smiley

thanks

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Yes, they just ignore.

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

good!..

then I just need to 'wait'.. lol.

might as well start putting together the BOM list.. and order the stencil too!   smiley-grin

Dubuque, Iowa, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

Wait for Itead's approval before you order the stencil. It's quite possible that they will ask you to make changes to your board.

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

ahh.. good call!..

it is in review 'currently' and will contact me only if there are problems.   (heres hoping!)  smiley smiley-cool

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

The board passed iteadstudio.dru checks, it will be accepted.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: