Go Down

Topic: Compile Error conundrum (Read 907 times) previous topic - next topic

mwacuff

Host OS: WinXP SP3
App: Arduino 1.0
Device: Arduino UNO

I'm new to the forum, relatively new to Arduino UNO and the Arduino IDE (1-2 weeks), and really stumped!

Arduino IDE reports the following error on compiling; note that this error occurs on all sketches, including BLINK.ino (unmodified). 

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
C:\arduino-1.0\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-g++ returned 3

Just a few days ago, compile was successful with BLINK.ino, and many others.  Now all sketches fail to compile resulting in the same error (above). Clearly something has changed with my system, but WHAT?

So far I've tried re-installing from the download:      

<arduino-1.0-windows.zip> ... and re-installed the driver for Arduino UNO <Arduino UNO.inf>. 

Also tried complete shut-down (and unplugged power supply from AC mains).  No success.  The compile error occurs whether or not Arduino UNO is connected via USB or not.  Following the loopback test posted on the forum is successful, so it's not a communications problem, but rather something to do with the compile process.

I've searched through the forum, yet haven't found any issue exactly the same as this. Any suggestions appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

mwacuff

I just tried something that seems to have fixed the problem:

In the Arduino IDE, I opened preferences, and refreshed the value for sketchbook location by clicking browse, and re-navigating to my preferred location (<D:\Files\Arduino>).

Now BLINK.ino compiles and uploads successfully to the UNO!

I'll try other sketches but I presume that the preferences were corrupt, and refreshing the file location cleared the corruption.

Krodal

You already found it.

If you reinstall Arduino completely, you have to remove the user settings as well.
In that case, the preferences would be newly written at the first start of Arduino.

I found this old thread outlining a problem I now have with Aurduino IDE 1.0.5

Even compiling a simple program results in the following compile error:

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
C:\arduino-1.0\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-g++ returned 3

Background:

I worked with Arduino 0018 a few years ago.  I put it away for a while after a project completion.  I recently got interested in a new project an decided to upgrade to Arduino IDE 1.0.5.

The system is Windows XP with all the latest upgrades.  It is running on a Pentium 4 system that I keep around because it has a lot of development tools on it for some other applications

Back to the story:  I connected to an Aarduino nano, checked to see if the correct driver was installed, and did the install.  from the beginning I have gotten this error.  I completely stripped the system of the new Arduino and installed it more than once. 

I have never changed the preferences.txt file and have verified that I only have one on the system.

So, I am embarrassed to ask, what is the fix?

Coding Badly

According to @mwacuff, the steps in Reply #1 fixed the problem.

Thanks for the reply from Coding Badly.

I have tried what mwacuff suggested with no results.  There is only one preferences.txt file, it is where it is supposed to be, and it is not corrupt.

Now what?

Go Up