Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: how to switch contactors?  (Read 1290 times)
uk
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

hi,
my electronic/electrical skills are limited, i would like to switch a few contractors on, 24v coils or maby 240v coils but not sure what to use to turn them on would a Mosfet N the one im looking at is rated at 2.7a max be ok for the 24v contactor, but really unsure how to approach the 240v one?
thanks

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

i would like to switch a few contractors on
Go with permanent staff, contractors do not have the commitment.

If it is contacts you want to change then a relay with a 5V coil is easy, just use a transistor and resistor to turn on the relay.

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

You need to know whether the contactor coils are intended for AC or DC. The 240V one is almost certainly AC, the 24V one could be either.

To switch a contactor with a 240VAC coil, use a small SSR (make sure it is suitable for inductive loads), or an opto triac (such as http://uk.farnell.com/vishay/vo2223a-x001/phototriac-power-dip-6-0-9a/dp/1870799) + snubber network.

To switch a contactor with a 24VDC coil, I would use a transistor if the coil current is 500mA or less, and a mosfet if it is more.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 09:06:10 am by dc42 » Logged

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

I would use a transistor if the coil current is 500mA

Schematic of that here:-
http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Workshop/Motors_1.html

uk
View Profile

thanks very much

Finland
Arduino rocks
View Profile

hi,
my electronic/electrical skills are limited, i would like to switch a few contractors on, 24v coils or maby 240v coils but not sure what to use to turn them on would a Mosfet N the one im looking at is rated at 2.7a max be ok for the 24v contactor, but really unsure how to approach the 240v one?
thanks

If your  electronic/electrical skills are limited, don't approach 240v relays at all, and be careful even with 24v relays. What kind of load the contactors are switching?

uk
View Profile

well i soppose my skills arnt that limited, for my second project i want to monitor the temp of a room and when temp rises turn on two frequenct drives / fans anything up to 20a 3 phase,  so it has to be a contractor really.

i suppose my simplest option would be mosfet and 5v relay but a bit worried about the noise of the relay, really kicking myself as ive been inside and repaired a million control panels (lift industry) and never really had to know what was switching on relays/contactors but since ive got interested in processors would have been nice to know what different manufactures were using.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: