Go Down

Topic: Jimmy Proof Lock Controler (Read 461 times) previous topic - next topic

uffy

I have a Jimmy Proof style lock that I would like to control via Ethernet and Arduino.

Jimmy Proof Lock:

Has anyone tried this?  If so, I could use some pointers.

I was thinking of using some gears and a stepper motor.

johnwasser

You don't need precise control over position so a stepper would probably be overkill.  The easiest way might be a hobby servo.  It's geared down to provide high torque and has a built-in motor driver and position feedback so you don't need a separate motor controller.

If you can measure the torque needed to turn the knob you can use that information to get a strong-enough servo.  I'd start by doubling the required torque for plenty of margin.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

uffy

You don't need precise control over position so a stepper would probably be overkill.  The easiest way might be a hobby servo.  It's geared down to provide high torque and has a built-in motor driver and position feedback so you don't need a separate motor controller.

If you can measure the torque needed to turn the knob you can use that information to get a strong-enough servo.  I'd start by doubling the required torque for plenty of margin.

I need to be able to operate the knob by hand as well as with the Arduino.  Would it break the servo when operating by hand if i used a series of gears to attach it?

Go Up