Go Down

Topic: Jimmy Proof Lock Controler (Read 493 times) previous topic - next topic

uffy

I have a Jimmy Proof style lock that I would like to control via Ethernet and Arduino.

Jimmy Proof Lock:

Has anyone tried this?  If so, I could use some pointers.

I was thinking of using some gears and a stepper motor.

johnwasser

You don't need precise control over position so a stepper would probably be overkill.  The easiest way might be a hobby servo.  It's geared down to provide high torque and has a built-in motor driver and position feedback so you don't need a separate motor controller.

If you can measure the torque needed to turn the knob you can use that information to get a strong-enough servo.  I'd start by doubling the required torque for plenty of margin.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

uffy

You don't need precise control over position so a stepper would probably be overkill.  The easiest way might be a hobby servo.  It's geared down to provide high torque and has a built-in motor driver and position feedback so you don't need a separate motor controller.

If you can measure the torque needed to turn the knob you can use that information to get a strong-enough servo.  I'd start by doubling the required torque for plenty of margin.

I need to be able to operate the knob by hand as well as with the Arduino.  Would it break the servo when operating by hand if i used a series of gears to attach it?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy