Bit of history about the problem before I start of... (Plz have a little patience its going to be a long one...
Is it just me or is someone else facing problems while uploading sketches into ATmega1284p using maniacbugs optiboot bootloader?
For the last few days I have been experiencing the problem. The smaller sketches say Blinky codes and all get uploaded fine(with a probability of around 90% ie) it uploads properly 9 out of 10times ) But when the sketch size is larger(Sketch of a project I am working on. Mine around 16-17KB) my rate of uploading correctly drops drastically to around 10-20% smiley-sad Most of the time it uploades wrongly with the following error... smiley-sad
avrdude: stk500_paged_write(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x64
avrdude: stk500_cmd(): programmer is out of sync
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
Tried burning bootloader again and still no improvement... (The board and schematics I use http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,80483.msg732693.html#msg732693
Has anyone else experienced it??
Had enough with this uploading problem now...
Now it hardly ever uploads properly (more like once or twice in around 30-40times...) I really need some help here...
Reading the maniacbug optiloader (ATmega1284P: End to End using 1.0 IDE) post towards the end I seem there are others are facing the same issue or are they?? ( Ex: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,80483.msg768523.html#msg768523
different clone boards but similar issues? )
Can anyone plz help me this?? I will try to be ask specific and detailed as possible regarding it...
Stuff I use...
1) Atmega1284p clone board http://www.ebay.in/itm/ATMEL-ATMEGA1284P-PCB-ATMEGA644P-ATMEGA32-ATMEGA16-components-/140621576563?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item20bdb2f973
Schematic and PCB of the board http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,80483.msg732693.html#msg732693
2) Serial Cable
DB9 connector on 1 end and 5pin female terminal on the other side
3) Power supply
9V DC adaptor (No issues there still...
I am using Win XP with Arduino 1.0
Stuff I tried for trying to solve this...
1. Replaced the boards, with a replacement from the Ebay dealer still no change in result.
2. Replaced the Atmega1284P with an another piece still no change.
3. Burnt the maniacbug's bootloader 3-4 times -- > Bootloader burns just fine using ArduinoISP tutorial
4. Tested the serial cable for continuity --> Works fine
5. Tested the serial port of my PC --> works fine(Programming my other duemilanove clone boards. They are uploading fine and working properly )
6. Tried to program my ATmega1284p (With IC in clone board) with duemilanove board (with that ATMega1284p board selected in IDE) by shorting RST, Rx, Tx, 5V, GND of duemilanove board (with Amega328p IC removed of course..) and Atmega1284p. ----> This I thought should have worked but strangely wasnt...
7. Tried the step 6 again with Atmega1284p now on breadboard(rather than on clone board) with same connections + connected the crystals from duemilanove boards in addition to power supply to breadboard ICs ---> This also wasnt working.
8. Last try changed the serial cable connections from
changed to DTR pin connection (Still not sure which to use for reset though DTR or RTS) --> this was more of a hunch not sure why I did it. got the idea from this http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,104435.msg783355.html#msg783355
After all this I am totally stumped still cant figure out whats wrong... Tried everything possible with my limited knowledge to get the uploadings done properly but still facing issues...
This by far my longest post in this forum.
First of all thanx for reading upto this...
(U have one helluva patience
Anybody with any suggestions on how to make uploads smoother is welcome...
Thanx again. Hoping U guys will help me out.
(Sorry if Mods feel this a run off of the Maniacbug thread, thought this required a new thread. Hope you understand