Go Down

Topic: Automated Indoor Blimp (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

PeterH

You will need positive altitude control because you'll never get it to remain stable at a given altitude otherwise. Can you use some sort of range finder to measure the distance to the floor or ceiling? The 'flying fish' balloons look extremely cool and are hopefully quieter than the propeller-driven blimps I've tried - those are too loud to be ignored - but don't seem to have reverse, which might be a problem.
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

AWOL

The vessel will be filled with just enough helium to keep it at a specific altitude with all the components on board.

When my children were of an age to be amused by helium balloons, we used to joke after a few days when they were sinking to the floor (the balloons, not the children), that the balloons would "live" longer if you gave them an occasional hug.
Sure enough, the balloon would be given a brief cuddle and magically rise again to the ceiling.
The very brief contact with body heat was enough to cause the gas to expand, increase buoyancy and allow the balloon to rise into the warm air at the top of the room, where it would expand even further.

Active altitude control is almost essential.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

John_S

It would only need quick bursts from the prop as it will just sail under it's own buoyancy.
Unfortunately... no. That's like saying you just need to give a car a quick burst of power then it will roll down the road under it's own inertia. The fact is the air introduces a significant amount of drag to anything moving through it.

To see for yourself, get a neutrally buoyant balloon and give it a small push on the side. See how far it goes across the room.

hoff70

The vessel will be filled with just enough helium to keep it at a specific altitude with all the components on board.

When my children were of an age to be amused by helium balloons, we used to joke after a few days when they were sinking to the floor (the balloons, not the children), that the balloons would "live" longer if you gave them an occasional hug.
Sure enough, the balloon would be given a brief cuddle and magically rise again to the ceiling.
The very brief contact with body heat was enough to cause the gas to expand, increase buoyancy and allow the balloon to rise into the warm air at the top of the room, where it would expand even further.

A small heating element?  It would be power hungry but may be cool to experiment with...

michael_x

A small heating element?  It would be power hungry but may be cool to experiment with...

Easiest is the up/down propeller solution of the BalloonCraft sample and hot air in the top part of your room, to have the blimp float on it.
For long time traveling eventually supported by automatic ballast weight drop (use sand instead of lead to be RoHS compliant) ... ;)

Go Up