Go Down

Topic: Check if atmega is really dead. (Read 2381 times) previous topic - next topic

plietar

Hi,
I have two atmega chips I haven't been using for a few months.
I've managed to flash one succesfully using an arduino as an isp programmer.
However I can't flash the other one, avrdude reports bad signature and using '-F' gives 0x0 fuses. The chip hasn't got a bootloader and I don't remember what are the fuse settings.
How can I know if the problem comes from bad fuses or if the chip is really dead ?

Thanks

Coding Badly

May 08, 2012, 08:53 pm Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 10:07 pm by Coding Badly Reason: 1

Is it possible the "bad" processor is configured to run from a crystal or oscillator resonator?

plietar

Yes. I remember switching from internal to external a few times. I may have made a mistake.

Coding Badly

Do you have a crystal or resonator connected to the "bad" processor?

If not, you just need to provide a clock signal on the XTAL1 pin.  I believe Lady Ada has generously publish an ArduinoISP version that does exactly what you need.  Report back if you have trouble finding it.

Nick Gammon

That's a brilliant idea! I've modified my board programming sketch to output an 8 MHz clock on pin 9, if you happen to need it.
Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info:
http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

Coding Badly

May 09, 2012, 07:36 pm Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 10:50 pm by Coding Badly Reason: 1

I can't remember if I thought of it independently or read about someone else doing it but I'll take credit for the idea.   :D

4 MHz seems to be the most common choice.  I use 1 MHz in TinyISP.  Honestly, I don't think it makes any difference as long as it's at least 4 times the SPI bitrate.

Pin 9.  Excellent choice.  That's the same pin I use for TinyISP running on a 328 processor.

CrossRoads

Poke it with a stick, see if it moves.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Nick Gammon

Pin 9.  Excellent choice.  That's the same pin I use for TinyISP running on a 328 processor.

Thanks, but it just happened that way.

Code: [Select]

const byte CLOCKOUT = 9;

pinMode (CLOCKOUT, OUTPUT);

// set up Timer 1
  TCCR1A = _BV (COM1A0);  // toggle OC1A on Compare Match
  TCCR1B = _BV(WGM12) | _BV(CS10);   // CTC, no prescaling
  OCR1A =  0;       // output every cycle

It happened to be the output for Timer 1. So why shouldn't Timer 1 be working? I am.

Plus we may as well get 8 Mhz out of the thing.

How can I know if the problem comes from bad fuses or if the chip is really dead ?

Try my "fuse settings" calculator:

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?topic=105089
Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info:
http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

plietar

That was just a bad fuse. Thanks Nick, your fuse calculator worked perfectly using the PWM on pin 9. Using Ladyada's ISP programmer I managed to fix that, and set it to use the internal oscillator.

Thanks.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy