Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Will this cable be able to do any thing?  (Read 471 times)
Hampshire
Have a passion for electronics!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I bought this cable and it arrived today:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230703361988?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_2985wt_1168

I was just wondering will I be able to program any thing with this as when I plugged it in nothing happened? I thought it might of had some sort of usb to serial circuit on it but noting happened. Thank you all very much.
Trevor Boultwood

TrevorB

Switzerland
Faraday Member
View Profile

This cable might do anything but probably almost nothing in an Arduino environment. It gives you RS232 levels (at least it says so) and that's -12/12V. Arduinos use TTL (0/5V) level for serial communication. Most of them have a USB port BTW.

Scotland
Edison Member
Have you had your Arduino fix today?
View Profile

Check your device manager for a new com port, try a different USB port & computer if possible. If it still wont work, arrange for a relacment from your supplier.

Drew.
http://www.uk-pcb.co.uk - My UK Based PCB Fab & Assembly Company
Design work undertaken
SMD & Thru-Hole assembly

Hampshire
Have a passion for electronics!
View Profile

I have checked device manager and that and nothing! I emailed the guy who I bought it off and he said it wasn't compatible with windows 7. I am pretty sure there is no circuitry involved so it looks like it is going to the wire bin to be used with some thing or another... :L Thank you all for the replies.

Regarding the type of serial it uses, could you direct me to find out more information on what type of standards there are. I am very interested to know information regarding serial communication and it might come in handy later on in life smiley Thank you again! smiley

TrevorB

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: