Go Down

Topic: Dumping firmware/software...and/or reflashing?? (Read 27 times) previous topic - next topic

bag06a

May 11, 2012, 05:01 am Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 11:37 pm by bag06a Reason: 1
So heres the quick deal (trying to go fast and to the point, laptop going to be dying soon ha). I have a paintball marker (tippmann x7 phenom) and it has some features of the electronic grip that I would like to redo. I know it is possible because I know of one person who is already reflashing (not making a new board or electronics to go inside the grip...but reprogamming it). I want to do it myself because 1. i dont want to pay lol and 2. I think it would be a fun project.

My question is this; How do I do a firmware dump on it so I can look at the code and modify it?? I'm sure that knowing the controller is one step. I am currently working on figuring it out. I THINK it may be an atmel ATtiny20. I see very small writing on the chip that says "atmel" and then some numbers that are very hard to distinguish. To me it looks like "atmel 0928" or something but cant really find anything with those exact numbers. something else that is written very time on it is "20SSO" (or so it looks like). Seems to me that it may be the package possibly but again I am not 10% sure. Also it has written on it (in bigger letters) "T20Ver2", however it is different writing than the others and dont know if it that writing comes directly from atmel or not.

My reasoning for believe that it's a ATtiny20 is that I refined search parameters to the pin count (14) and anything that had "SSO" anywhere in the package type.

Think you guys would be able to lead me in the right direction?

Coding Badly

The ATtiny20 only supports TPI (Tiny Programming Interface) programming.  Do you have a programmer that supports TPI?

I suggest posting a high quality photograph of the processor.

bag06a

I can try and take a picture of it later today, but I cant promise that you will be able to read any of the text on it. I had a hard enough time reading it with a magnifying glass haha (it was only a helping hands magnifying glass though). I'll keep you posted.

In regards to a TPI, no I do not have one. Probably could find a way to make one though hey? Not even 100% sure it is an ATtiny. Come to think of it, if I need a TPI, I remember seeing a video on youtube called "shrinkify your arduino projects" where they guy used an arduino uno (i think) to program a tiny.

bag06a

May 11, 2012, 11:54 pm Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 11:57 pm by bag06a Reason: 1
Ok I took some pictures of the chip. Sorry if they aren't good enough, they are the best I could get. That pesky T20Ver2 is for the most part in the way of the full model >.<  .

Coding Badly

That pesky T20Ver2 is for the most part in the way of the full model >.<  .

Have any whiteout?  Or finger nail polish?  You may be able to rub something into the lettering.  Or you may be able to carefully scrape off the T20Ver2.

Ok I took some pictures of the chip. Sorry if they aren't good enough, they are the best I could get.

The pictures are good enough.  The T20Ver2 definitely obscures the interesting bit.

I suspect that may not be an AVR processor.  I have dozens of AVR processors.  They are all imprinted with the Atmel logo... .  None of them have the word "Atmel" in a typical typeface like the chip in your picture.

Go Up