Go Down

Topic: Motion sensor Arduino control (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

nemanjas

Hi. I want to make a system which will record movements with (any type of) camera, and (laser or any suitable) motion sensor will turn on camera. Any recorded moves I want to follow on my mobile phone with Arduino, which can be anywhere on the planet. (I 've thinkin about Internet connection?!)

Please I want to tell me how I can make this connection with arduino and how I control this inputs and sensors with my arduino over Internet.

I want the software and the hardware parts to make it, with using some basic programming.
It is a work for my university.

PaulS

Grand ideas, and they are all possible, but the Arduino isn't going to be a lot of help.

The Arduino with ethernet shield is nowhere near fast enough, and has nowhere near enough memory, to do anything with the camera, except turn it on or off and point it in some direction.

You'd need to use a web cam with a separate connection to the internet, to get the video data so that your phone can see it. Processing that video data, and making the Arduino point it in the right direction, is a task that the Arduino is not capable of. So, you need a PC involved, too. If you have to have a PC anyway, there is no reason for the Arduino to be connected to the internet, so there is no need for it to have an ethernet shield.

All that the Arduino will be doing is reading serial data to find out where to point the camera, and reading any motion sensor. Of course, if the PC is watching, via the camera, it can see when there is motion, so the Arduino doesn't even need to do that.

nemanjas

sbright33

I disagree I am doing exactly that.  I am using an IR laser to detect motion with a camera in the dark.  It works even better during the day!  The camera can record to SD card on the Arduino, or send it via XBee to PC at 3fps.  Tell me again, why this is impossible?  It is a serial JPG camera.
If you fall... I'll be there for you!
-Floor

Skype Brighteyes3333
(262) 696-9619

overdrivr

@sbright33 : Are you really doing video processing with the arduino ? That would be impressive, never though the little guy could do so much !

If you do want to do intensive video processing, you might be interested in the rasberry pi platform : http://www.raspberrypi.org/

To follow the movement, you will need an inertial motion unit. Just a fancy name for the combination of some sensors : gyroscopes and accelerometers mostly (magnetometer and barimeter are a plus). I'm currently building a quadcopter, and I have the exact same need than you (records movements), I'm using this board from drotek : http://www.drotek.fr/shop/en/41-imu-10dof-llc-itg3200-gyro-bma180-accelerometer-hmc5883-magnetometer-bmp085-pressure.html
It works really great, but any IMU breakout board should do the trick.

AWOL

Are you really doing video processing with the arduino

Not with JPEG data, at least, not in anything like real-time.

There are examples of real-time image processing on Arduino, but this is usually reduced resolution standard-definition monochrome video
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

sbright33

Not video processing.  I'm simply detecting motion, yes or no.  With plenty of light I can detect changes by the size of the JPG file.  It's cool because this ignores moving trees in the background.  At night with the IR laser I'm sending a small file to the PC for processing.  This way I can detect a new object that reflects the beam.  And I can determine the X,Y coordinates in real time.  During the day, the Arduino can detect motion on it's own, without a PC. 

I have the same IMU board.  Building my 2nd Quad.  I'm still stuck getting the gyro to work properly.  Can you send some simple code to test my gyro IC?

@AWOL you're right we cannot uncompress the JPG with only 2k of RAM.  But I can look at the file size in real time!  10fps.
If you fall... I'll be there for you!
-Floor

Skype Brighteyes3333
(262) 696-9619

Go Up