Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: SCADA Alternative  (Read 1228 times)
Kansas City, MO
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Looking for some advice on an alternative to a SCADA type setup using a network of Arduino's. Is there a way to take a network of different arduinos and place there serially fed data into a PC so that you could display different status indicators based on the arduino address that was being seen.

For instance, we'll say you have arduino 1, 2 and 3. All 3 will be sending a data string when queried of:

arduinoX, 75.2, 63.5, 0

75.2 = outside temp
63.5 = inside temp
0 = relay x off (on =1)

What I would like to do is receive this data into a PC and produce different thermometer representations or red/green lights for on off, etc. for each Arduino. Similar to a status screen for site sensors per se.

I just hate to start investigating how to reinvent the wheel if there is already an established way to achieve these results.

Thanks!!

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

Make one Arduino an I2C master and you can control up to 120 arduino I2C slave devices that monitor whatever.

It can also be done over serial RS232 or RS485 wires (can be longer)

What is the distance between the sensors and what type of sensors are used?

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Kansas City, MO
View Profile

The sensors will all pretty much be analog reads. There may be a couple that are digital reads for a couple on /off indications, but nothing major. The sites won't be local so there will probably be a serial medium of some sort that plays a part (modem, RF, etc), but it should be serial none the less. I know SCADA is a multi-drop RS-485 setup but I know that can get complicated and expensive if you go through a scada vendor. That's why I would like to come up with something that will poll each arduino for a data string and then a PC can parse the string out to populate different fields for each site.

The other part is the screen representation utilizing buttons, alert lights, meters. I know the arduino could collect and send the data, but what about ideas to represent the data in this fashion for PC display? ideas?

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

An often used app is processing www.processing.org , it is free and it's IDE is a close relative (parent) of Arduino. Often used in conjunction(?) with arduino

But Microsoft supplies us with a free .NET compiler e.g. C# and IDE for non commercial use IIRC.

So there are different options.

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: