Go Down

Topic: Super capacitor to replace RTC coin battery? (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic

liudr

RuggedCircuits, I guess that's right! 0V across a diode that is turned off (very little current). I'll have to do some testing then. I have one super cap on a circuit board I bought as scrap. Will remove that for the test.

florinc

Sony made a great miniature radio (sony icf-sw100) whose super capacitor failed after a while and needed replacement.
That should tell you something about using capacitors for your clock.
I think it is much easier for the average customer to change a battery than to replace the capacitor.
Plus, some customers may find unacceptable to set the clock every time they come back from one-week vacations.

CrossRoads

How many people lose power for a week tho?
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

florinc

Some people turn off their appliances when they go away (I am one of them).

CrossRoads

That's a good point, hadn't considered that.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Go Up