Go Down

Topic: Starting my first UGV project - need some starting help (Read 16 times) previous topic - next topic

TiboJ

I just got a reply of the designer, and you're right!

cyclegadget

Good links: Eagle tutorial= http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDE1858BD83D19C70
General Arduion tutorials = http://tronixstuff.wordpress.com
http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/bbshowpost.php?bbtopic_id=123

TiboJ

I reached 400 meters(with obstacles) in my test with the UGV yesterday XD! The video was perfect, but the 40Mhz steering was sometimes a bit buggy.
I'm sure it can reach much more!
Now I'm going to tweak the range of it a bit more.

Andy R

Did you ever get video to work? What did you use?

TiboJ

Did you ever get video to work? What did you use?

Yes :) Last time I reached 800m without any bug on the video or steering. It was in an area with fields and a forest, with obstacles like houses and bushes.
For the video, I use a 1.3Ghz 850mW transmitter with a cloverleaf antenna, and a video receiver with helical antenna, but I'll post specs of it soon.

Here is a 'work in progress' picture:

TiboJ

Aug 20, 2012, 06:47 pm Last Edit: Aug 21, 2012, 10:50 am by TiboJ Reason: 1
Very strange: I've connected a transistor to digital pin 4 on the WP controller to turn on a IR led,  and when the pin goes HIGH, the IR led doesn't go on at all.
If I measure the voltage on the led it's only 0.2v.
If I use my seperate Arduino Uno it works good.
What can cause the problem?

I wrote this above the setup code:
int transistor = 4;

This in the setup code:
pinMode(transistor, OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(transistor,HIGH);
delay(8000); // to test that the IR led turns on for 8 seconds

The wiring  should be good because it works good with my other Arduino.

edit1: it seems that it also isnt working with my other arduino after a new test. I'll start another topic as this is not really the 'robotics'.

edit2: solved, gnd of the arduino needs to be connected to gnd of the power supply.

TiboJ

BlueJakester

Fantastic project TiboJ. Congratulations on all of the effort you put into it!

I'd like to build a 6-wheeled rover, but the cost of the Wild Thumper alone ($249) makes it cost prohibitive for me. :(

I'll keep researching though. Maybe I can find a less expensive way to go.

TiboJ

Thank you ;)
There should be other chassis out there, but I'm not sure.
This chassis is worth the price!
Keep me updated about your project :)

Here is a picture of my 'work in progress' ground station:

Far-seeker

Hmm, interesting idea mounting the display inside the case lid. What type of display did you use?  Have you run into any excess heating by surrounding it with foam after extended use?

TiboJ

Hmm, interesting idea mounting the display inside the case lid. What type of display did you use?  Have you run into any excess heating by surrounding it with foam after extended use?

It's a TFT-LCD monitor.
I didn't have use it for a long period yet, but if it becomes a problem, I'll just drill some holes in the back of the case.

Go Up