Go Down

Topic: IDE 1.6.9 upgrade (Read 513 times) previous topic - next topic

outsider

After upgrading IDE from 1.6.5 to 1.6.9 I get this in the console when uploading a sketch:
Code: [Select]
Warning: Board tiny:bootloaders:attiny84at1 doesn't define a 'build.board' preference. Auto-set to: BOOTLOADERS_ATTINY84AT1
Warning: Board tiny:bootloaders:attiny84at8 doesn't define a 'build.board' preference. Auto-set to: BOOTLOADERS_ATTINY84AT8
Warning: Board tiny:cores:attiny84at1 doesn't define a 'build.board' preference. Auto-set to: CORES_ATTINY84AT1
Warning: Board tiny:cores:attiny84at8 doesn't define a 'build.board' preference. Auto-set to: CORES_ATTINY84AT8

How to fix?

Also, IDE starts with last edited sketch. How to revert to start with bare_minimum.ino?

pert

After upgrading IDE from 1.6.5 to 1.6.9 I get this in the console when uploading a sketch:
Code: [Select]
Warning: Board tiny:bootloaders:attiny84at1 doesn't define a 'build.board' preference. Auto-set to: BOOTLOADERS_ATTINY84AT1
Warning: Board tiny:bootloaders:attiny84at8 doesn't define a 'build.board' preference. Auto-set to: BOOTLOADERS_ATTINY84AT8
Warning: Board tiny:cores:attiny84at1 doesn't define a 'build.board' preference. Auto-set to: CORES_ATTINY84AT1
Warning: Board tiny:cores:attiny84at8 doesn't define a 'build.board' preference. Auto-set to: CORES_ATTINY84AT8

How to fix?
Please post a link to where you got the tiny core.
Also, IDE starts with last edited sketch. How to revert to start with bare_minimum.ino?
I don't think there is any preference to set this but you could add the the path and filename of bare_minimum.ino to the shortcut you use to open the Arduino IDE.

outsider

Tnx for reply, Tiny lib came from highlowtech.org couple of years ago.

http://highlowtech.org/?p=1695

Not done any Tiny work in quite a while.

Your suggestion for BareMinimum worked fine. K++   :)

pert

Install the new version of that core. It has the warning fixed. You can use Boards Manager but there has been some improvements made since the last release so you may want to do a manual install instead to get the newest version.

If you need to stick with your old version for some reason post the boards.txt file and I'll make the necessary edits.

outsider

OK, I'll install the new lib as soon as I find time, I'm still hanging on to ver 1.0.5 (JIC), will that cause a conflict?

pert

May 18, 2016, 09:06 am Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:07 am by pert
The new version of attiny is not compatible with any IDE version previous to 1.5(possibly 1.6) so if you want to still be able to use attiny with 1.0.5 you will need to keep your old version installed but you can have them both installed at the same time. If you are doing a manual installation your folder structure should look like:

{sketchbook}
|_ hardware
|_ attiny
  |_ avr
  | |_ variants*
  | |_ boards.txt*
  | |_ platform.txt*
  |_ variants**
  |_ boards.txt**
  |_ platform.txt**

* 1.6.x compatible core files
** 1.0.x compatible core files

The only problem with this is the 1.6.x IDE sees the 1.0.x variants folder as an architecture folder so whenever you open/close Boards Manager you get the warning:
Could not find boards.txt in E:\arduino\hardware\attiny\variants. Is it pre-1.5?
but it doesn't actually cause any problems.

You can also leave the 1.0.x compatible version installed and use Boards Manager to install the 1.6.x compatible version. In this case you will get the above error when opening/closing Boards Manager in addition to:
WARNING: Error loading hardware folder E:\arduino\hardware\attiny
  No valid hardware definitions found in folder attiny.
But it's much better than getting a warning on every single compile as now.

arvid_evans

I just upgraded from an ancient version of the Arduino IDE to version 1.6.9 (Debian Linux 64 bit) and like the new features, but there are also some problems.  It appears that the new IDE only knows about ATMega328 and ATMega168 boards.  I have some older Mega8 based Arduino boards which need software upgrades.  How do I do that with the new IDE?

Yes, I can do a work-around by saving the new HEX files and use a stand-alone loader to install to the older Arduino boards
but this still doesn't solve problem of not being able to write Mega8-specific code with the new IDE.

CrossRoads

I imagine it is similar to what I did here to add 1284P to 1.6.9.
Others did the work of creating the cores, I just figured out the process for adding them in.
It is  likely documented somewhere more officially too.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=402335.0
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

pert

I have some older Mega8 based Arduino boards
Which boards? Have you tried Tools > Board > Arduino NG or older, Tools > Processor > ATmega8?

arvid_evans

Seems the tool chain that you show is not available in IDE 1.6.9.  I can do "Tools>Processor" but then it only gives me two options, ATMega328 or ATMega168.  The other processors are not shown.  I tried switching boards but that does not allow Tools>Processor to show anything other than ATMega328 or ATMega168.  Seems that something is missing in the
64-bit Linux version of IDE 1.6.9.

pert

I tried switching boards but that does not allow Tools>Processor to show anything other than ATMega328 or ATMega168.
Did you switch the board to Arduino NG or older?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy