Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Impact Sensor Ideas  (Read 2385 times)
Huntsville, AL, USA
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I've had an idea floating around my head for quite a while to build a physical game interface using a "sword", where the sword will be a wooden handle and shaft with thick foam covering (like a Fun Noodle over a medium thickness dowel). The sensors for the game would be a set of targets arranged around the player, perhaps 4 or 6 padded posts rising from a platform or even suspended from above (or maybe both for more sensors).

I haven't done any experimentation on the sensors yet, but I've had a few ideas (they are very similar to drum sensors) and I wanted to know if anyone had any ideas or experience in building these kinds of things.

The requirements would be:

Very sturdy, rigid supports than can stand a pretty hard whack with the "sword"

Sensors that would reliably trigger on a hit over a large area of the target, but not so sensitive that it would trigger on false hits from nearby sensors (or ambient noise/vibration).

Proportional (analog) response would be nice, but not essential (most of the time, if the sensor input was analog, it would just be compared to a threshold value for a hit/no hit determination).

I've mulled over microphones, piezo elements, conductive foam with foil or mylar surfaces for variable resistance or capacitance, flex sensors (either on the surface or mounting the targets on stiff springs), and accelerometers (probably a good choice, but more expensive than I would like). They all have their pros and cons (some more than others). Any ideas?

SF Bay Area
Edison Member
Arduino Ninja
View Profile

Hollow rubber cylinders and air pressure sensors.

Unique RGB LED Modules and Arduino shields: http://www.macetech.com/store

Don't Panic
View Profile

Hollow rubber cylinders and air pressure sensors.
I can see how a rubber disk with a mirrored bottom, a (cheap) laser LED pointed at it, and a ldr in the normal return path. In theory, hitting the disk should deflect the light away from the sensor momentarily.

Also: rubber-disk, metal-disk, hollow-spacer/o-ring, flexible metal disk, flexible rubber disk. Connect the circuit across the two metal disks, they'll be normally open and close when you force the outside disk against the inside one. Such a method worked amazingly for dance pads capable of supporting 350lb+ people jumping up and down. Some fine tuning is nessessary to reach the equilibrium between 'measures every hit' and 'random spurious hits'.

Although, I think pressure sensors are a good bet.

iDuino - MaxSerial - [url=http://spi

Huntsville, AL, USA
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Good ideas (plus I've got a few air pressure sensors lying around).

Las Vegas, NV
God Member
View Profile

What about an accelerometer?  You could look for short-duration, high-g signals that would be unlikely to arise from anything other than a sudden impact.  For example, you don't experience 6gs very often while running around, but if you smack an accelerometer with a stick you might get a 6g reading briefly.

- Ben

Austin, TX
View Profile

Certain kinds of foam will change conductivity under pressure.  If you sample with AD fast enough, you can probably use that.

I don't have a link handy, but search around for "conductive foam" and "pressure sensor".  It's a trick that robot hands use to sense grip strength.  Whacking a foam pad with a sword would probably give solid readings.

Chris J. Kiick
Robot builder and all around geek.

Copenhagen / Denmark
Edison Member
Do it !
View Profile

Theres an example somewhere in the playground of someone who build one of those boxing  punch bags with 64 homemade preassure sensors attached to it. If i remember correctly the sensors are made from two layers of cobberwebbing material with a piece of antistatic foam in between. The whole thing sandwiched in between some stiff material. They used 4051 analog multiplerors to get a lot of analog inputs. These sensors are preassure sensitive.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

if you make it conductive, maybe you could just look for a change in capacitance? or even make it work like one of those old doctor games where you ahve to pull out the plastic parts without touching the metal sides of thw hole...?

Don't Panic
View Profile

They used 4051 analog multiplerors to get a lot of analog inputs.
If you're only after a hit/no-hit status, you could use some comparators set against the hit/no-hit threshold to interface with the Arduino digital pins. (assuming you've exceeded the Arduino's analog inputs)

iDuino - MaxSerial - [url=http://spi

Copenhagen / Denmark
Edison Member
Do it !
View Profile

Here's a link to the project i was mentioning above:

http://fluid-forms.com/de/CassiusHow.php

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I like the idea of an analog value for the sensor.  I know several SCAdians, and one of the methods of their tourneys is basically an eyeball judgement as to whether the foam-covered sword or mace hit hard enough to do an injury, or whether it was merely a glancing blow.

An issue that occurs; most sword-play styles I know of involve the intentional blocking of sword by sword, shield, parrying dagger, etc.  How would your game discriminate between a parry and a hit?

I am interested in these sensor ideas for swords for my own theatrical purposes; I've been contemplating triggering sound effects off of prop swords to juice-up an on-stage sword fight.  Will be following this thread with interest.

Las Vegas, NV
God Member
View Profile

An issue that occurs; most sword-play styles I know of involve the intentional blocking of sword by sword, shield, parrying dagger, etc.  How would your game discriminate between a parry and a hit?
I believe the idea is to have the sensors on the targets, not on the sword, so they would only trigger if you got your sword past the parry/block and made contact with the target.  At least that's what I envisioned when reading the opening post.

- Ben

Faraday Member
View Profile

I've seen impact sensors on cheap toys (e.g. Happy Meal toys, or stuff that's several for a dollar) that consist of a pin and a spring mounted around the pin.  On impact the spring's own mass flexes it into the pin, making momentary contact.  A similar setup looked a bit easier; it looked to be an NC arrangement, with the spring mounted horizontally across a large solder pad.  Imapact would cause the spring to flex away from the pad, creating an open on the normally closed circuit.  A little clever mounting would allow it to be an NO device.  (Note this latter example is rather planar in nature.)

-j

Las Vegas, NV
God Member
View Profile

Yeah, I've seen those kind of sensors inside those clear rubber bouncy-balls that light up and make noise when you bounce them.  Unfortunately those sensors can be fairly dependent on the direction of the impact, but in an application like this it seems like the direction of the impact will be pretty well constrained and known beforehand.  Of course unless you create a sensor using multiple springs of varying stiffness, you won't get an analog result for the impact strength.

- Ben

Huntsville, AL, USA
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Wow, thanks for all of the ideas.

My son and I have been brainstorming on different kinds of games to play with foam swords and mounted sensors, not all of them really related to "sword fighting" (although several of them are), so these are all really good ideas. While we were messing around in the garage this weekend, we built two "swords" out of PVC pipe and Fun Noodles with plywood handguards and rubber taped handles. In addition to "dueling" around the yard, we also used them to investigate the form factors for different game ideas.

I think the first sensors I am going to build are going to be rigid, foam covered uprights (maybe steel pipe cores) with modulated IR LEDs and sensors on both sides. With the emitters on the ground facing up and the shielded sensors on the top looking down, it should be almost trivial to recognize a "hit" on either side of the upright by looking for occlusion of the light beam. My initial idea is just for a game that's somewhere between Simon, Dance Dance Revolution, or Guitar Hero, where you have to strike the targets in a certain order with a certain timing to succeed. I think this will work well with two "swords". There are many different game themes that would work with this type of setup with four or six (or more) sensors.

My son wants to do more of a virtual combat type game, so we've also been thinking about body mounted sensors, shields, etc. Should be a fun summer...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Jump to: