Go Down

Topic: Using a simple AND gate ic (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

adilmalik

Im using the 74LS08 quad AND gate, in a simple circuit connecting it to a dip switches, but it doesnt seem to work, do i need pull up or pull down resistors and why?

michael_x

do i need pull up or pull down resistors and why?

The dip switch is just an open/close switch, but the signal needs to be HIGH/LOW, not HIGH/undefined
So yes, you need a pulldown, if the swich supplies HIGH when on.

Any unused input pin of an AND gate has to be high, too.
Alternatively, you can supply a signal to more than one pin.

adilmalik

thankyou, but what i dont understand is that if i dont connect my inputs to anything the gate takes that as a HIGH. so i have just connected the dip switch to ground without any resister and it is working fine.

michael_x

May 15, 2012, 06:49 pm Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 06:58 pm by michael_x Reason: 1
from http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/74series.htm regarding 74LS...

Inputs 'float' high to logic 1 if unconnected, but do not rely on this in a permanent (soldered) circuit because the inputs may pick up electrical noise. 1mA must be drawn out to hold inputs at logic 0. In a permanent circuit it is wise to connect any unused inputs to +Vs to ensure good immunity to noise.

For the 74HC.. series ( less power requirements in amount and regulation, slower ) pulling inputs is more important, I agree.

adilmalik

can someone please help me to connect a 74LS08 quad and gate to a dip switch? I cant seem to understand how the pull up or pull down resistors work. i want the inputs to go to low when the switch is off and high when the switch is on.

CrossRoads

What kind of switch? Momentary On push button that is normally open?
3-pin toggle switch with normally open, common, normally closed pins?
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

adilmalik

its a dip switch like this one:

Eriba

This: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AND_gate and this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pull-up_resistor are good articles and should answer your question.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler."

CrossRoads

Lets assume that "Switch on" = switch is in the closed position (pins connected to each other).

In that case, you need a pulldown resistor from the pin to ground, one side of the switch connected to a pin, and the other side connected to +5V.
When the switch is on, the pin is connected to +5, and when the switch is off the pin is pulled low.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

MarkT

The 74LS series are TTL - they need pullups of around 1k or so on inputs to guarantee reading high and you MUST NOT connect inputs directly to 5V...
To pull down you need a hard pull-down (ie use a 1k pull-up to 5V and the switch to ground, not the other way round).

Also you have to use pull-ups on a TTL output when its driving a CMOS chip like the ATmega to guarantee that an output HIGH will be seen as HIGH (it will probably work most of the time without, but it is not guaranteed I believe).  TTL levels are not symmetric.

74HC series are the modern CMOS pin-for-pin equivalent, and pullups and pulldowns of 10k to 100k will work fine - avoid TTL if you can, its more expensive as well as slower, power-hungry and difficult to interface to.
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Nick Gammon

Please don't start two threads within a few hours of each other about AND gates. Just let the answers flow in from the helpful people here. :)

Threads merged.
http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

MarkT

can someone please help me to connect a 74LS08 quad and gate to a dip switch? I cant seem to understand how the pull up or pull down resistors work. i want the inputs to go to low when the switch is off and high when the switch is on.

That's not easily doable with TTL as I've mentioned - ideally use push-to-break rather than push-to-make switches, or else feed the switches through inverters.

The problem is that TTL inputs are not really rated for connecting to +5V except through a resistor - the breakdown voltage of the input transistor is only 5.5V (bit close for comfort).   The good news is that I've done a bit more research and the LS series of TTL is more robust in this respect, so you should be able to get away with it - the input transistors can handle upto 7V

You will need a pull-down resistor as low as about 680 ohms though, to pull the inputs properly low, 1k might be a bit too large.

[ and the standard caveat - 0.1uF ceramic decoupling capacitor for every logic chip ]

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Go Up