Go Down

Topic: IR Temp Module MLX90614 (GY-906) bogus data when hot (Read 120 times) previous topic - next topic

NH

I'm trying to read temperatures from an MLX90614 IR sensor which is on a breakout board (GY-906).  A picture of the board is at the bottom of the post.  The sensor has no issues reading high temperatures, but when the board itself starts to get warm, around 110-120 degrees F, it starts returning bogus data (random temps that are way too high, 400-1000 degrees) until it cools off.  I'm no expert and can't tell what the breakout board includes that could be causing the problem.  I'm guessing it has some resistors and maybe a capacitor, but I'm not sure, and I don't know if these would cause issues when they get warm.  Any idea on what could be causing the problem?  I expect the board to act up when it gets too hot, but 110-120 degrees F doesn't seem very high.   

NH

Seems like I've stumped everybody.  Maybe this is a problem that can't be solved.

Can anyone help me identify the components on the board?  Maybe that'll help me research the issue.  I see 5 components on the board, 2 of which I'm pretty sure are resistors, but I have no idea about the other 3. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

knut_ny

There is a 3.3v regulator so the chip can run off 5v. Those yellow parts are capacitors. The original sensor has a laserengraved marking.
I have seen both original and fakes.. None got hot under normal conditions.
Ny

jremington

Jul 20, 2016, 06:25 pm Last Edit: Jul 20, 2016, 06:25 pm by jremington
The sensor must be at thermal equilibrium in order to function properly. That means all parts of the chip have to be at the same temperature as the immediate surroundings.

Why is the board heating up?

NH

Thanks.  So 2 resistors, 2 capacitors, and a 3.3v regulator.  The board is getting hot because I'm pointing the sensors at a 300-400 degree object, so even though its a few inches away, its getting hot. 

Thanks again for the info.  Now that I know what's on the board, I can troubleshoot a few things. 

jremington

Suggestion: keep a heat shield between the source and the sensor, and remove it for one second while a measurement is made.

knut_ny

Ny

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy