Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 34   Go Down
Author Topic: NewPing Library: HC-SR04, SRF05, SRF06, DYP-ME007, Parallax PING))) - v1.5  (Read 115959 times)
Algeciras
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Thanks for the reply @Human, I was thinking to use one of this as an alarm sensor for intruders but apparently these sensors doesnt seem very trustful smiley

Regards,

View Profile

Thanks for the reply @Human, I was thinking to use one of this as an alarm sensor for intruders but apparently these sensors doesnt seem very trustful smiley
You may still be able to do this, depending on the distance to your target.  Specs for these sensors claim a 400cm range, but it doesn't seem that anyone is getting that. 100cm seems to be the max usable range.

In my case, my digital filter works very reliably.  You need to find the settings that work best for your specific sensor, but in my current build, I poll every 500ms and I believe in-range values if there are 2 in a row, and I believe out-of-range values if there are 7 in a row.  If your application doesn't require *immediate* response, then you could go this route.

Also, try not to use 0cm as the trigger for anything, since that's also considered out of range. (If you look at the sensor and see the emitter and receiver, it makes sense why you can't *actually* measure 0cm with it, so 0cm is never going to be a real distance.)

Toledo, OH
God Member
View Profile

Regards,

First, do you know that the NewPing library returns a value of "0" (all clear) when it doesn't detect anything?  So, a zero means that there's nothing within the range you set (in your sketch that would be 200cm).  It doesn't appear that your sketch is considering this.  Therefore, maybe your alarm if statement should be:

Code:
if (Range > 0 && Range < 10) {

Secondly, a delay of only 20 milliseconds is too short, you could get an echo from a previous ping.  Try changing your delay to 50 and see if that helps.  You probably shouldn't ping faster than once every 29ms.

Tim

Arduino - Teensy - Raspberry Pi
My libraries: NewPing - LCDBitmap - toneAC - NewTone - TimerFreeTone

Algeciras
View Profile

Regards,

First, do you know that the NewPing library returns a value of "0" (all clear) when it doesn't detect anything?  So, a zero means that there's nothing within the range you set (in your sketch that would be 200cm).  It doesn't appear that your sketch is considering this.  Therefore, maybe your alarm if statement should be:

Code:
if (Range > 0 && Range < 10) {

Secondly, a delay of only 20 milliseconds is too short, you could get an echo from a previous ping.  Try changing your delay to 50 and see if that helps.  You probably shouldn't ping faster than once every 29ms.

Tim

Thank you @teckel after ignoring the 0 values, it's working perfectly!

Toledo, OH
God Member
View Profile

So, the exact same processor as the Uno, darn...  I'm thinking that I'll create a couple different test libraries if you're willing to try each.  Probably one that replaces the ping echo detection with pulseIn to isolate the problem, then a few variations that do it a little differently.

Let me know if you're willing to do this, should be really quick and simple.
Even if it's not quick and simple, I'd be happy to help.

As I can't attach files to private messages, I'm going to post test libraries to this thread.  Everyone keep in mind that the official release library is always downloaded from the Google Project Hosting site, not this forum.  The attached library is not an enhanced version, it actually is removing features for testing purposes only.

First off, here's the short and sweet sketch we'll be using for the tests:

Code:
#include <NewPing.h>
#define trigPin 12
#define echoPin 11
NewPing sonar(trigPin, echoPin);

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(115200);
}

void loop() {
  Serial.print(sonar.ping());
  Serial.println(" uS");
  delay(100);
}

Find the attached "NewPingTestA.zip" library and replace the existing NewPing.* files in your libraries/NewPing folder.  The only thing that Test A does is replace the echo measuring with the default pulseIn command.  Because you stated you can hear the sensor firing, we're going to first assume that the trigger is happening correctly and the problem is with measuring the echo.  This first test should isolate the problem where we can then focus in on one area.

Let me know what happens.

Tim

* NewPingTestA.zip (5.76 KB - downloaded 15 times.)

View Profile

Find the attached "NewPingTestA.zip" library and replace the existing NewPing.* files in your libraries/NewPing folder.  The only thing that Test A does is replace the echo measuring with the default pulseIn command.  Because you stated you can hear the sensor firing, we're going to first assume that the trigger is happening correctly and the problem is with measuring the echo.  This first test should isolate the problem where we can then focus in on one area.

I still hear a bunch of ticks, and I mostly get "0 uS" output over and over again. Now and then, nonzero values appear:

Code:
7494 uS
41944 uS
8251 uS
26104 uS

I haven't found a pattern yet that can make it produce nonzero output.

View Profile

Thank you @teckel after ignoring the 0 values, it's working perfectly!

This may not be sufficient. I've seen valid, in-range values (nonzero) reported by the HC-SR04 when nothing was in range. You could get false positives if all you do is ignore 0cm distances.

Toledo, OH
God Member
View Profile

I still hear a bunch of ticks, and I mostly get "0 uS" output over and over again. Now and then, nonzero values appear:

Code:
7494 uS
41944 uS
8251 uS
26104 uS

I haven't found a pattern yet that can make it produce nonzero output.

Interesting...  Find the attached TestB - TestE libraries and test with the same sketch.  Each of these make slight changes and all work with the Uno.  Let me know if you start getting correct results (objects several inches from the sensor should give results in the hundreds).  It's still possible that none of these work for you, and if so that REALLY limits what the issue is, and I have a TestF library already ready to go.

Tim

* NewPingTestB.zip (5.82 KB - downloaded 15 times.)
* NewPingTestC.zip (5.82 KB - downloaded 19 times.)
* NewPingTestD.zip (5.83 KB - downloaded 16 times.)
* NewPingTestE.zip (5.82 KB - downloaded 16 times.)

View Profile

Interesting...  Find the attached TestB - TestE libraries and test with the same sketch.  Each of these make slight changes and all work with the Uno.  Let me know if you start getting correct results (objects several inches from the sensor should give results in the hundreds).  It's still possible that none of these work for you, and if so that REALLY limits what the issue is, and I have a TestF library already ready to go.
A rebuild with each version (exit Arduino IDE; unzip a test version of NewPing inside ~/sketchbook/libraries/NewPing/; run IDE; load test sketch; upload to Duemilanove; open serial monitor) still outputs 0 uS, regardless of whether or not something is close to the sensor.  I can run each version for more time to see if I get any nonzero times, but I thought I'd report these results sooner rather than later.

I'm pretty sure my steps will explicitly re-build the NewPing library each time, but maybe I need to touch the sources, too.

Toledo, OH
God Member
View Profile

A rebuild with each version (exit Arduino IDE; unzip a test version of NewPing inside ~/sketchbook/libraries/NewPing/; run IDE; load test sketch; upload to Duemilanove; open serial monitor) still outputs 0 uS, regardless of whether or not something is close to the sensor.  I can run each version for more time to see if I get any nonzero times, but I thought I'd report these results sooner rather than later.

I'm pretty sure my steps will explicitly re-build the NewPing library each time, but maybe I need to touch the sources, too.

You should see the compiled size change slightly with each test library.  That's a good indicator that it's using a different library.

See the attached TestF library also.

Tim

* NewPingTestF.zip (5.82 KB - downloaded 17 times.)

View Profile

The test run I did earlier today isn't valid because I didn't notice the pin changes between the last test sketch and this one. (echo pin changed from 13 to 11).  After making that change, I am seeing distances being reported in the test library versions that I tried.  I wonder if there's a problem using pin 13 because it's also for the built-in LED.

I have to stop for today, but I tried NewPing 1.3 with this configuration, and I'm seeing distances there, too. I need to make sure I can consistently get results, but in the meantime, I'll investigate and see if I can try to make it fail again.

View Profile

I think I have good news, but it's not what either of us expected.

The "0cm" problem with the Duemilanove seems to be because of pin 13. The Duemilanove can't use pin 13 as the echoPin. It works fine on the Uno R3, but the Duemilanove doesn't like it. Changing it from pin 13 to pin 11 (and probably any other appropriate pin) makes NewPing work on the Duemilanove back to v1.3 and with the test versions you sent (at least the ones I re-tested).

I believe the previous example sketch version used pin 13, and you've changed it to be pin 11. If I had to guess, I'd say that the "0cm" bug was people on a Duemilanove (or similar) board using the example sketch and the example pins.

What do you think?

View Profile

Assuming that pin 13 really is the reason why the Duemilanove wasn't working with NewPing, I wanted to work on a contribution to the project. Everyone's experiences with the HC-SR* family of sensors is that they're *mostly* reliable, but they occasionally throw out a false positive or false negative. I've put digital filters in my code so that I don't trust readings until they remain consistent for a window of time or number of pings. It occurs to me that this would be of general utility, as an optional way of using NewPing objects.

Some ideas of how I'd do this:
  • 1) Sliding scale between responsive and trustworthy: Max responsiveness would provide no filter. Max trustworthiness would only trust a reading if there are no incompatible readings over a period of time, depending on whether we're trying to eliminate false positives or false negatives.
  • 2) "Best result in N ms": Similar to the above, except it only examines as many pings as it can in an N ms window. Should ensure that a filtered ping comes through in N ms, +/- some inherent latency
  • 3) Parameter-level tweaking: Open up all the configuration options to advanced users. They could specify a time-based filter or a filter that waits for N compatible pings in a row before believing the results.

I think I'd start with #1 and see how it's received.

Would you like me to have a go at coding this up? Would you prefer that I subclass NewPing or extend NewPing with additional methods that enable/configure the digital filter option? My intent is to not change the existing API so as not to break any legacy code, and I think either approach could facilitate that.

View Profile

(I couldn't decide if I should post a new topic for this.  It's only of value to people who use NewPing with the HC-SR04 / SRF05 family of sensors.)

I have a pre-alpha, proof of concept class called ConsensusDistance that takes a pointer to a NewPing object and acts as a wrapper for it, returning distance values that are likely to be trustworthy and not anomalous. Currently, you can define how long of a "streak" you choose to trust for in-range and out-of-range readings, in milliseconds. If the sensor reads a streak of in-range values for the appropriate time, it returns the last distance read. Similarly, if the sensor reads a streak of out-of-range values (0), it returns a 0. There's also a setting for tolerance of distance between streaks. (A sufficiently recent streak of in-range values means that reading a single new in-range value is vetted by the previous streak.)

Is anyone interested in trying it out?

Toledo, OH
God Member
View Profile

Assuming that pin 13 really is the reason why the Duemilanove wasn't working with NewPing,

Pin 13 was my first guess as to the cause of the problem as there's an LED attached to it.  I've been suggesting to people to try different pin assignments and changed the default sketch to use pin 12 and 11 for a few weeks now.

With that said, I didn't ask you specifically not to use pin 13 for two reasons.  First, pin 13 works fine on the Uno and we both assumed you were using the Uno at the begining.  Secondly, the sketch you linked to at http://trollmaker.com/article3/arduino-and-hc-sr04-ultrasonic-sensor also uses pins 12 and 13.  So, to totally close this case, were you using the exact trollmaker sketch including using pins 12 and 13 or did you use that sketch but with different pins?  The TestF library is basically exactly the same as the trollmaker sketch.  If the Duemilanove really can't use pin 13 as a input, it shouldn't be able to with either the NewPing library or the trollmaker sketch (as it uses pin 13 for input).

I wanted to work on a contribution to the project. Everyone's experiences with the HC-SR* family of sensors is that they're *mostly* reliable, but they occasionally throw out a false positive or false negative. I've put digital filters in my code so that I don't trust readings until they remain consistent for a window of time or number of pings. It occurs to me that this would be of general utility, as an optional way of using NewPing objects.

Some ideas of how I'd do this:
  • 1) Sliding scale between responsive and trustworthy: Max responsiveness would provide no filter. Max trustworthiness would only trust a reading if there are no incompatible readings over a period of time, depending on whether we're trying to eliminate false positives or false negatives.
  • 2) "Best result in N ms": Similar to the above, except it only examines as many pings as it can in an N ms window. Should ensure that a filtered ping comes through in N ms, +/- some inherent latency
  • 3) Parameter-level tweaking: Open up all the configuration options to advanced users. They could specify a time-based filter or a filter that waits for N compatible pings in a row before believing the results.

I think I'd start with #1 and see how it's received.

Would you like me to have a go at coding this up? Would you prefer that I subclass NewPing or extend NewPing with additional methods that enable/configure the digital filter option? My intent is to not change the existing API so as not to break any legacy code, and I think either approach could facilitate that.

I don't ever remember seeing false positives or false negatives.  For example, if I put an object a foot away from the sensor it will show a distance every time.  It may fluctuate a bit as far as the distance, but will never give a 0 reading.  Likewise, if I set the maximum distance at 200cm and have it ping out at a wall that's 15 feet away, it will always get a 0 reading.  Some, have incorrectly interpreted this as incorrect.  But, this is the correctly designed behavior.  You wouldn't want the sensor to report back 200cm when there was something 400cm away as you've set the sensor to only listen for objects 200cm away or closer.  A reading of 200cm would tell you that something is 200cm away, when there is not.  Any object beyond the specified maximum distance is returned as 0, which means "all clear".  It's slightly different with the timer interrupt method as we don't create an event unless there's something in-range.

I used the below sketch with your HC-SR04 sensor.  It does VERY fast pings and displays a "." if it gets a ping within 200cm or an "0" if it gets no ping (zero).  It displays it in 80 columns so a lot of data can quickly be looked after the test is complete.  Each line ends with the ping microseconds for the final ping (kind of a test to make sure you're understanding what it's showing).

Code:
#include <NewPing.h>
#define trigPin 12
#define echoPin 11
NewPing sonar(trigPin, echoPin, 200);
byte i = 0;

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(115200);
}

void loop() {
  unsigned int us = sonar.ping();
  if (us==0) {
    Serial.print("0");
  } else {
    Serial.print(".");
  }
  i++;
  if (i==80) {
    Serial.print(" ");
    Serial.println(us);
    i=0;
  }
  delay(10);
}

I ran it for an hour pointing in the general area of my coffee cup and monitor sitting on my desk about 18 inches away and I got all periods, not a single "0".  A ping every 10ms for an hour is around 360,000 pings.  For the next test I turned the sensor around and pointed it towards a wall that was about 10 feet away.  I started the test and let it run for another hour and got nothing but zeros with no periods.

So, you may want to try the above sketch and a similar test before we try to filter false positives or false negatives that I can't even duplicate.  What I could see as useful is averaging.  Either a simple multi-sample average or a more complex standard deviation type calculation.  But, I question if this type of calculation is really outside the scope of an ultrasonic library as one could simply take the ping results and feed them to a standard deviation library to do the calculation.

Tim

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 34   Go Up
Jump to: