Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Need Help with Open Collector Output  (Read 643 times)
Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I tried to follow Mark T's advice but was a bit concerned about getting the 9V too close to the board. So instead I broke out the multimeter and started testing continuity and voltage. It appears that while the meter is still the resting voltage is 0.6V when the meter begins to spin, the voltage drops. The faster it spins the closer to 0 it gets. I don't know if that is a helpful observation or not.
If that is truly what you did and you included a pull up resistor to 9V then your meter is broken.
However given your track record to date it is hard to tell so how about some photographs of the meter with the wiring you tested.

View Profile

I did not use a pull up resistor to the 9V. That was my concern also. Was the info I was able to gain from the multimeter helpful in understanding the OCO at all?

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

I did not use a pull up resistor to the 9V.
If you do not use a pull up resistor you will measure nothing from an open collector output.

Victoria, Australia
Edison Member
Electronics Engineer/Industrial Control
View Profile

Hi, question, are you doing all this testing on a protoboard like in your fritzing?
If so, check that the positive and negative supply lines that run down the side of the protoboard are continuous for the entire length.
There are some out there that have a break in continuity half way down, in your case it would mean that the Black and battery negative are connected together but not connected to the arduino ground.

Tom...... smiley

Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running......VK3DMK

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: