Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Thermal images of a Mega  (Read 3100 times)
CO, USA
God Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Why does the processor run warmer when the supply voltage is increased? 

It's happier.

I'll guess thermal transfer through the die. (Case?)

... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

CO, USA
God Member
View Profile

Hi, I think it's time we can/should go away from linear regulators, even on these "Little guy" boards.

A couple months ago or so, somebody mentioned some DC/DC converters which were very close in size, and with the same pinout, as a the usual TO-220 regulator. I think it was something by Murata, but I'm not seeing specifically what I remember being mentioned.

http://www.murata-ps.com/en/products/dc-dc-converters.html

Yes I think these switchers are so cheap and easy to use these days it's time to start letting go of linear regulators for the "front end".

Is part of the reason that although the IC is cheap, you also need to buy a coil, and matching those to your requirements is (so I've read) a bit tricky? Those Murata switching regulators cost more, but I think they include all the parts.

... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

some DC/DC converters which were very close in size, and with the same pinout, as a the usual TO-220 regulator.
Traco also make them and a few others, IIRC about $12 for a 1A PSU with inputs up to about 30V.

you also need to buy a coil, and matching those to your requirements is (so I've read) a bit tricky?
Possibly, although many of the datasheets specify a recommended inductor.

Take a look at the new FT230 and FT231 from FTDI.
Thanks for that, just the thing and I see they now have SPI and I2C version as well. I have an application right now that would love one of those SOIC16 USB chips.

I think I'm going to like these even better!
Likewise. I know you can get USB in the processor these days but I don't know how to drive those on-board peripherals whereas I do know that these FTDI chips just work out of the box.

______
Rob
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 07:07:10 am by Graynomad » Logged

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: