Go Down

Topic: What sort of motor is best for continous high torque applications? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Chems

Probably a basic question but one I don't really know the answer to. If I wanted to drive a belt at various speeds all however slow speeds. What is the best type of motor to use that provides the most power. I have a 3.1Nm Nema23 439oz that I would quite like to use, would that be any good? 

cyclegadget

When I think "High Torque" I think of a diesel engine in a semi-truck. So, I think a Caterpillar 1000hp engine should do.

Seriously, the only way to know if a motor is good enough for your application is to determine how much weight is being moved and how fast you need to move it.

cyclegadget

http://www.axminster.co.uk/jet-jet-22-44-osc-oscillating-drum-sander-prod801421/

They are showing that the unit takes 2.2Kw.      746 watts per Horse Power so...   It would seem that the main motor is probably around 3HP although it looks too small to be 3HP. I am guessing because, I don't know how many motors the unit has.

Listening to the video, it seems the drive motor is running through a reduction gear box to lower speed and increase torque.

Chems

That's the motor that drives the sanding drum, it doesn't specify the motor that drives the belt that drives the workpiece through the machine. That's the one I was referring too, I should have made that clearer. It looks like a fairly beefy little motor.

You may be able to tell me what it is from the info from the manual for that motor:

Motor (TEFC) .................................................................................................. 1-3/4HP, 1Ph, 115V only

It does a max of 10 feet per minute so its not turning really fast.

Go Up