Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino Mega as MIDI controller  (Read 937 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello, some time ago I've decided to make MIDI Controller. I was searching infos about "how to" and I found Arduino.
So, there's question: is it possible to make 16 buttons, 4 knobs and 4 faders with Arduino Mega 2560? And any schematics for it?
There is schematic for 12 buttons, 4 knobs and 2 faders but it's for smaller Arduino (forgot name :<)
http://www.instructables.com/image/FZJ8DYZGJHV8UN8/Wiring.jpg
Cheers, Aleks

Brisbane, Australia
Edison Member
View Profile

Hi Aleks

Yes it is.  Because the Uno (or compatible) had limited digital inputs, and they were using one of them up for each of the buttons, that limited the number of arcade buttons that design could use.

If you already have a mega ( http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardMega ), it has 54 digital IO pins, which means you could extend this simple design out to 54 arcade buttons !

Alternatively, if you've not bought your Mega yet, and you have a Uno or compatible, there are ways to address more than the standard number of pins by adding digital inputs using shift registers.  Here's a page for adding 8 switches using a shift register IC http://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ShiftIn (note you cascade a 2nd to get you 16 buttons like you're wanting, only using 3 digital pins so you're left with even more to play with if you want).

Cheers !
Geoff

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse"
- retired astronaut Chris Hadfield

View Profile

But I don't have knowledge about Arduino, electronics at all, etc. The only thing i can do is soldering, that's why I'm asking for schematics smiley-wink
Oh, forgot to ask - is it possible to add leds to buttons, like in Monomi or Novation Launchpad?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 07:13:17 am by Alekso » Logged

Brisbane, Australia
Edison Member
View Profile

Hi Aleks,

If you want to achieve what you're asking, you'll need to be willing to learn at least a little.  It's not just the schematic you need as there will be some changes to the code running on the Arduino to address those extra buttons, sliders and knobs too.  And ultimately it won't hurt to understand a little about how it works for debugging if it doesn't function entirely to plan when you first power it up. 

Looking at the code provided with that instructable it is written to cater for a number of different Arduino boards, including the mega, and it is well documented so that appears promising.

Cheers ! Geoff

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse"
- retired astronaut Chris Hadfield

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: