Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Serial communication with two arduinos  (Read 223 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi all, I got a arduino mega and a arduino nano. Connecting TX from one board to RX on other will make me able of serial communication? And do I need to connect the grounds?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Yes: Rx to Tx, Tx to Rx, Gnd to Gnd.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

And then just using Serial.read() and Serial.write() will do it right?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Yes. Don't read more than Serial.available() shows is ready.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

View Profile

Ok, thanks for the quick answer.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

No problem.

View Profile

Just another question: What is the best way to read, store and send the data? Save it at a character array and after read it all, send it?
The idea (for now, to get something very non specific) is to write text at the serial in COM20 and receive it (then display it on Serial from COM21 and at a LCD display). I'm not sure what is the best way to do such a thing. I'm thinking on creating something like this to save the data: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,45629.0.html

UK
Tesla Member
View Profile

I wrote a demo illustrating communication between a PC and an Arduino in this Thread. The principles could be applied to your project - probably just by using the Arduino code on two devices with a few changes.

...R

Atlanta, USA
Edison Member
AKA: Ray Burne
View Profile

This sketch: http://www.hackster.io/rayburne/the-qbf-signal-generator is capable of Arduino to Arduino & local loopback.

Ray

View Profile

I will try it when I got some spare time. I will post the results when done. Thanks Robin2 and mrburnette.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: