Go Down

Topic: Byte to Char (Read 5819 times) previous topic - next topic

hunter

May 21, 2012, 09:26 am Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 09:32 am by Coding Badly Reason: 1
Hey Guys,
I'm attempting to take bytes that contain time and date and make them into a string for the purpose of naming a file on an openlog.  My clock produces: month, dayOfMonth, hour, and minute in bytes.    I tried char() but had no joy.  Lots of ascii spaces.

Suppose it was October 28th at 14:12.  I would want my file name to be "10281412."   Problem is, I have no idea how to make:

byte minute 12;

turn into:

char minute[2] = "12";

I've seen in some examples people using springf().  I liked the one instance where I saw it, but I can't figure out how it works exactly.  

Any guidance much appreciated!

- Hunter

I included some (marginal) code below to help you understand what I'm trying to do.

Code: [Select]
#include "string.h"

// bytes each of the components
byte minute;
byte hour;
byte dayOfMonth;
byte month;

// strings for each of the four components
char Cmonth[2];
char CdayOfmonth[2];
char Chour[2];
char Cminute[2];

char TimeDate[8];  // will contain all of the four components in a string

void setup()
{
     Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop()
  {

// Data as it arrives off the clock  
 minute = 12;
 hour = 14;
 dayOfMonth = 28;
 month = 10;

//**** need something here that will turn bytes into integers

// I have no idea if this is legal, or how I'd go about putting all of my CHAR's into one long string.
 TimeDate[8] = {month, dayOfMonth, hour, minute};

Serial.print(TimeDate);

//**** I want to see: "10281412";  That's month dayOfMonth hour minute.

}

Moderator edit: [code] [/code] tags added.

michael_x

does

byte minute =12;
byte hour=14;
byte dayOfMonth=28;
byte month=10;
char TimeDate[9];
sprintf (TimeDate, "%02u%02u%02u%02u",month,dayOfMonth,hour,minute);

work ?

"%02u" means unsigned 2digits with leading zero.
- You need space for a trailing 0 as end of string indicator, so TimeDate has to be at least 9 chars wide .
- You don't need string.h
- If it's just to create a file name, you can do that in one shot:
   sprintf (TimeDate, "%02u%02u%02u%02u.log",month,dayOfMonth,hour,minute); should produce "10281412.log"

hunter

Michael,
That pretty much worked.  Thanks!

Your explanation of sprintf combined with what I saw in an openlog example were the magic trick.  The line that ultimately worked was:

sprintf(buff, "new L%02d%02d%02d.txt\r", month, dayOfMonth, fileNumber);

I didn't mention any of it in the first post, but I needed "new" to initiate the new file.  I replaced hour and minute with fileNumber to keep the name under the size 8.3 limit.   Then I added \r, and I have no idea what it means or why it's necessary, but it works.

Thanks a ton for your good explanation and quick response.

- Hunter

PaulS

I didn't mention any of it in the first post, but I needed "new" to initiate the new file.  I replaced hour and minute with fileNumber to keep the name under the size 8.3 limit.   Then I added \r, and I have no idea what it means or why it's necessary, but it works.

What, exactly, are you doing with the resulting buffer? The SD library does not expect that "new " in there, nor will it operate correctly with it there.

The \r is a new line, often used to indicate the end of a command, which implies that the array you are populating defines some kind of command.

hunter

I'm sending it straight to the OpenLog.    I got it from this example:
https://github.com/sparkfun/OpenLog/blob/master/OpenLog_CommandTest/OpenLog_CommandTest.ino
Lines 76-90.

Here's my implementation:

sprintf(buff, "new L%02d%02d%02d.txt\r", month, dayOfMonth, fileNumber);
  Serial.print(buff); //\r in string + regular print works with older v2.5 Openlogs

delay(500);

sprintf(buff, "append L%02d%02d%02d.txt\r", month, dayOfMonth, fileNumber);
  Serial.print(buff);

delay(500);

I wish I could get Serial.read to work so I could see that the OpenLog is alive before I start sending data (as Nate does in the example).  It stopped working last night (hence no while loops).  I don't know what failed, I suspect hardware.

- Hunter

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy