Go Down

Topic: Programming the Arduino Wirelessly (Read 725 times) previous topic - next topic

gsenesac

I was wondering if there was a way to have the arduino wirelessly connect to a pc's usb so that the entire connection (including the programming of the arduino) was wireless. For example, I have an arduino mini, so between it and the mini usb adapter I'd like to insert RF links so that these two modules don't have to be physically connected.
    For a quick experiment, I tried using parallax's 433 MHz transceiver package:
http://parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/BASICStampModules/tabid/134/txtSearch/27980/List/1/ProductID/111/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName%2cProductName
and basically connected a tx/rx pair of rf links in place of a wire. Unfortunately, I received an error saying the IDE was expecting a response of 0x14 instead of 0x00.
    I thought I may have seen something similar done already, but I was unable to come up with a result using the forum search. Any help is appreciated!

cerocca

I think that an xbee module can be a solution "ready to use" for you. check out the xbee shield (or your own board wired like that)

gsenesac

From what I could tell, an Arduino with an Xbee shield is still programmed through a USB/serial cable and then you switch a jumper to communicate between Xbee shielded Arduinos. I was looking more towards a 1 Arduino setup without the need to switch between a wired and a wireless setup to program the Arduino. However, I might go ahead and get a couple Xbee's anyway since the documentation is already there. Thanks for your help!

tvdbon

We've done something similiar at work. We've got an atmega8 with a xbee connected to the uart. The atmega8 is loaded with a bootloader (similiar to arduino bootloader) and we could program it from the a remote station (ie. pc connected to xbee module).

So, you should be able to connect a xbee to the rx/tx pins (with required level conversion circuit) of your arduino and program it from another one.

Daniel2

Jun 19, 2008, 10:26 pm Last Edit: Jun 19, 2008, 10:27 pm by Daniel2 Reason: 1
[size=14]http://www.google.com/search?q=+program+arduino+wirelessly[/size]

:)

gsenesac

Just as an update, I got some XBee modules and tried them out. They work great. I should have gone with them in the first place. Thanks for the help.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy