Go Down

Topic: Help!!! Rotary Encoders keep changing their Mind. (Read 643 times) previous topic - next topic

jjgg

Hey,
I'm having loads of fun trying to figure this out, but unfortunately I'm working till a deadline to get a working motor. I'm having issues with my robot, it seems to enjoy working on and off, in that when I program(?) the encoders to count over a specific distance it often decides it will travel varying distances instead. eg.

float j=0; //not seen below, using this float with a count based on the arduino chips clock to set a servo to run for x(seconds).
int initial=LOW;
int i=0;
int E1=5;       //Left Motor, HIGH = motor on, LOW = motor off
int E2=6;       //Right Motor
int M1 = 4;     //M1 Direction Control, CHANGE causes the motor to reverse direction.
int M2 = 7;     //M2 Direction Control
int encoder = 3;   //digital input that encoder is plugged into

void setup(){
  pinMode(encoder,INPUT);
  pinMode(E1,OUTPUT);
  pinMode(E2,OUTPUT);
  pinMode(M1, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(M2, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(8,OUTPUT);
}

void forward(int a){
  digitalWrite(E1,HIGH);
  digitalWrite(E2,HIGH);
  while (i<a){
    if (digitalRead(3)!=initial){
      initial = digitalRead(3);
      i++;}
  }

void loop(){
   if (i==0);
   forward(x); // x is set at any value between 0 and 3000
}

The kit I'm using for this project is a pairing of the 'ROVER 5' robot platform(http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10336), and the DFR-Romeo 1.0 (http://www.dfrobot.com/wiki/index.php?title=DFRduino_Romeo-All_in_one_Controller_(SKU:DFR0004)#Motor_Control_Pin_Jumper).

I'm powering the encoders from an external 9V battery, however, beforehand I was also running the encoder from the internal power (5V) and still having the same issues. I've written the code above not using the attachInterrupt() as before when I was, the same issue was still occuring.

Any ideas as to why I might be having these problems?

JJGG!

jjgg

I know you saw it too.

void loop(){
if(i==0){
forward(x);
digitalWrite(E1,LOW);
digitalWrite(E2,LOW);
}

so that the motors stop, whoops :s
JJGG!

PaulS

Code: [Select]
  while (i<a){
    if (digitalRead(3)!=initial){
      initial = digitalRead(3);
      i++;}
  }

You assigned the value 3 to encoder, supposedly to make it clear that you are reading the encoder. So, why the hardcoded 3 here?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy