Go Down

Topic: Help!!! Rotary Encoders keep changing their Mind. (Read 609 times) previous topic - next topic

jjgg

Hey,
I'm having loads of fun trying to figure this out, but unfortunately I'm working till a deadline to get a working motor. I'm having issues with my robot, it seems to enjoy working on and off, in that when I program(?) the encoders to count over a specific distance it often decides it will travel varying distances instead. eg.

float j=0; //not seen below, using this float with a count based on the arduino chips clock to set a servo to run for x(seconds).
int initial=LOW;
int i=0;
int E1=5;       //Left Motor, HIGH = motor on, LOW = motor off
int E2=6;       //Right Motor
int M1 = 4;     //M1 Direction Control, CHANGE causes the motor to reverse direction.
int M2 = 7;     //M2 Direction Control
int encoder = 3;   //digital input that encoder is plugged into

void setup(){
  pinMode(encoder,INPUT);
  pinMode(E1,OUTPUT);
  pinMode(E2,OUTPUT);
  pinMode(M1, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(M2, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(8,OUTPUT);
}

void forward(int a){
  digitalWrite(E1,HIGH);
  digitalWrite(E2,HIGH);
  while (i<a){
    if (digitalRead(3)!=initial){
      initial = digitalRead(3);
      i++;}
  }

void loop(){
   if (i==0);
   forward(x); // x is set at any value between 0 and 3000
}

The kit I'm using for this project is a pairing of the 'ROVER 5' robot platform(http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10336), and the DFR-Romeo 1.0 (http://www.dfrobot.com/wiki/index.php?title=DFRduino_Romeo-All_in_one_Controller_(SKU:DFR0004)#Motor_Control_Pin_Jumper).

I'm powering the encoders from an external 9V battery, however, beforehand I was also running the encoder from the internal power (5V) and still having the same issues. I've written the code above not using the attachInterrupt() as before when I was, the same issue was still occuring.

Any ideas as to why I might be having these problems?

JJGG!

jjgg

I know you saw it too.

void loop(){
if(i==0){
forward(x);
digitalWrite(E1,LOW);
digitalWrite(E2,LOW);
}

so that the motors stop, whoops :s
JJGG!

PaulS

Code: [Select]
  while (i<a){
    if (digitalRead(3)!=initial){
      initial = digitalRead(3);
      i++;}
  }

You assigned the value 3 to encoder, supposedly to make it clear that you are reading the encoder. So, why the hardcoded 3 here?

Go Up