Go Down

Topic: GPS Sketch (Read 686 times) previous topic - next topic

Docedison

May 26, 2012, 05:15 am Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 05:48 am by Docedison Reason: 1
I recently purchased a GPS Module, Skylab SKM53... Mostly for the time data, I know where I am and it (GPS) won't be moving for the foreseeable future.
Actually @ 26.00 it is an inexpensive answer to an accurate clock, Much better than any of the various and sundry other solutions. IMO
Can Anyone recommend a sketch to get the basics working. I tried to compile the Tinygps... lot of errors that I don't know enough yet to fix.
One sketch (Not Tinygps) but from the playground uses BYTE,      Serial.write(byteGPS, BYTE);
and this is the error I get when trying to verify it.

As of Arduino 1.0, the 'BYTE' keyword is no longer supported.
Please use Serial.write() instead.

Can someone either tell me where to go... to get the information, or maybe just where to go.
or better yet point me to a working sketch either for an Uno or a Mega2560.
If there is a book to be read first, which one would it be?

Doc
--> WA7EMS <--
"The solution of every problem is another problem." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

Runaway Pancake

May 26, 2012, 05:36 am Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 05:43 am by Runaway Pancake Reason: 1
http://www.fut-electronics.com/wp-content/plugins/fe_downloads/Uploads/Connecting%20Skylab%20SKM53%20GPS%20module%20with%20Arduino%20and%20Demo%20code.pdf

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByI4WbhJsiyqZjVjNTczNWEtZjczYi00YjY4LTlmMTgtNGIxZDcxZmFhMjEw/edit?pli=1
"Hello, I must be going..."
"You gotta fight -- for your right -- to party!"
Don't react - Read.
"Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?"

Docedison

May 26, 2012, 05:47 am Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 05:49 am by Docedison Reason: 1
Thank you sir, I have it and will try it shortly. I do hope I didn't make the mistake I think I did and that was to Google it before I asked here.
Still want the name of a good book. I bought "Programming Arduino"... not too impressed with the dearth of real information, I figured out a lot of that by myself and a lot of reading here.
Thank you for the really fast answer. I am an OLD engineer and the Arduino is a great way to pass the time... Great way to spend money too... IMO

Doc
--> WA7EMS <--

Runaway Pancake

I have written a programme that parses out the time from $GPRMC sentence.
That unit of yours looks like a pain in the hole.
The GPSes from Parallax are a lot easier to deal with.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW8FVmrA7js
Don't react - Read.

Runaway Pancake

Still want the name of a good book. I bought "Programming Arduino"... not too impressed with the dearth of real information, I figured out a lot of that by myself and a lot of reading here.

I think Radio Shack carries 2-3 books, one is the 'official' book.
I learn by reading around here, especially PaulS and Nick Gammon.
Nick has a website with lots of good reading
http://www.gammon.com.au/scripts/forum.php?bbsection_id=14
Don't react - Read.

Docedison

It works with tinyGPS10, simple test gives good lat and lon in Anaheim CA. Kind of a strange device one set of instructions said to connect the Vcc to 3V3, however it won't work @ 3V3 but does well @ 5V and the data stream is 9600 Baud... Skylab's data sheet on the device is interesting, seems like last years Quality Unit and @ $26.95 it was I think a good buy, You??? and thank You again for the beginnings of a sketch, I bought a 4D Systems 3.2" SGC module and this GPS is going to play a fair part in it's use. Old Men and their toys... Keeps me off the streets though... and IT'S FUN TOO.   IMO   Again Thank You for your HELP.

Doc
--> WA7EMS <--

Go Up