Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Naming Arduino...  (Read 470 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello everybody. A quick, probably stupid, question. Is it possible to give a unique name to an Arduino for serial identification purposes. I am trying to use several at once, and it can be frustrating trying to keep track of which one is plugged into which port.

To be clear, I am looking to make each Arduino easily identifiable in the Tools > Serial Port list.

Thanks!

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
View Profile

It's not a stupid question, but I doubt you can do it.

Faraday Member
View Profile

which operating system and which arduino?

For FTDI based arduinos:

Mac OS uses the FTDI serial number as part of the device special file name, and FTDI has a windows tool that will allow you to change the serial number, which is 8 bytes.

Linux can use udev rules to assign particular device special file names based on the serial number.

Not sure on windows.  You should be able to assign a com port number to a particular serial number, but I'm not sure.

For newer Arduinos with the Atmel chip as the USB interface, I think you're pretty much out of luck.

-j

Canada
Code Monkey
View Profile

which operating system and which arduino?

For FTDI based arduinos:

Mac OS uses the FTDI serial number as part of the device special file name, and FTDI has a windows tool that will allow you to change the serial number, which is 8 bytes.

Maybe one could tweak the Info.plist file in the OS X driver extension. You'd have to figure out what key to tweak.

I yield() for co-routines.

View Profile

I'm using an Uno, on a Mac. This is not FTDI, right?

I presume that the name is given by the computer, due to the fact that no matter which I plug in, there are only 2 possible names (for two possible USB ports). So, I guess the default "name" could be changed but that would only be port specific, not name specific.

Hmm...I guess it can't be done. Thats a shame.

Faraday Member
View Profile

The uno uses the Atmel for a USB interface, and it doesn't have a unique identifier.  So yeah, sorry, you're out of luck.

The mac os USB-CDC driver assigns the device special file based on where you plug it in to the USB tree.

-j

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: