Go Down

Topic: Naming Arduino... (Read 674 times) previous topic - next topic

Hello everybody. A quick, probably stupid, question. Is it possible to give a unique name to an Arduino for serial identification purposes. I am trying to use several at once, and it can be frustrating trying to keep track of which one is plugged into which port.

To be clear, I am looking to make each Arduino easily identifiable in the Tools > Serial Port list.

Thanks!

Nick Gammon

It's not a stupid question, but I doubt you can do it.
Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info:
http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

kg4wsv

which operating system and which arduino?

For FTDI based arduinos:

Mac OS uses the FTDI serial number as part of the device special file name, and FTDI has a windows tool that will allow you to change the serial number, which is 8 bytes.

Linux can use udev rules to assign particular device special file names based on the serial number.

Not sure on windows.  You should be able to assign a com port number to a particular serial number, but I'm not sure.

For newer Arduinos with the Atmel chip as the USB interface, I think you're pretty much out of luck.

-j

The Clever Monkey

which operating system and which arduino?

For FTDI based arduinos:

Mac OS uses the FTDI serial number as part of the device special file name, and FTDI has a windows tool that will allow you to change the serial number, which is 8 bytes.

Maybe one could tweak the Info.plist file in the OS X driver extension. You'd have to figure out what key to tweak.
I yield() for co-routines.

I'm using an Uno, on a Mac. This is not FTDI, right?

I presume that the name is given by the computer, due to the fact that no matter which I plug in, there are only 2 possible names (for two possible USB ports). So, I guess the default "name" could be changed but that would only be port specific, not name specific.

Hmm...I guess it can't be done. Thats a shame.

kg4wsv

The uno uses the Atmel for a USB interface, and it doesn't have a unique identifier.  So yeah, sorry, you're out of luck.

The mac os USB-CDC driver assigns the device special file based on where you plug it in to the USB tree.

-j

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy