Go Down

Topic: Interfacing with a Furuno GP-32 GPS (Read 2262 times) previous topic - next topic

Hey all

I have bought a furuno gp-32 GPS and now I want to tap into the NMEA signal comming out of it and monitor it on my PC through my arduino and the serial monitor in arduino IDE. How would I do that?

Here is a link to the wiring of the GP-32:

What colour of wire do I put where? Do the blue (NMEA +) go into the rx of the arduino and the white (NMEA common) go into the tx? Or do I need to use other wires?

Hope someone can help me

ps. Can I run the GP-32 from my computers power supply, just connecting the + to a yellow wire in a molex connector and then the negative to one of the ground wires in the same molex connector? Easier than getting a 12v car battery.

In the wiring pdf I linked to, there is the NMEA + and NMEA - and then there are RS-232 in and RS-232 out. I have read something about the RS-232 sending out -/+12volts and connecting these directly to the arduino will damage it. But what about the NMEA + and NMEA -? Is that TTL signals comming from those wires and can those be plugged right into the RX and TX on the arduino? So blue wire (NMEA -) to TX and white wire (NMEA +) to RX on the arduino and then just read the serial inputs and display them to the serial monitor? But will is work. I will be sure, so I dont damage anything, so all the help you guys can provide I am happy for!

If I turn on the GPS and then measure what voltage is comming out of the white and blue wires, would I then be able to tell if I can plug the GPS right into the arduino? If I measure anything over 5volts I know its not TTL right?

Have I understood this right or is there another way to tell what signal is comming out of the GPS and if I can plug it into the RX,TX ports on the arduino?

If I measure anything over 5volts I know its not TTL right?

True. Any negative voltage will tell you the same thing, too.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how do I measure it? Do I put the voltmeter on each wire and then to ground or do I measure between the white and the blue wire?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131