Go Down

Topic: Sensing floor for interactive dance floor project (Read 121 times) previous topic - next topic

asshat69

Hi ,

Newbie Arduino user here

I'm looking into the feasibility of either constructing by myself or buying some sort of sensing surface which can accommodate several people dancing on it.

Ideally it would be able to capture the pressure from the dancers movement and control elements like the BPM of a song and trigger cues of a generative music system.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I might go about achieving either of these? and how expensive and time consuming it may be?

Cheers,

Best,
Asshat69

Paul_KD7HB

Is this for just one dancer? Is this for dancing just on the toe? Ballet or ball room? I have heard people say they can detect angels on the heard of a pin, but not on a floor.

Is the dancer barefoot or with shoes? Wear is going to be a very real problem. Perhaps rotating laser beams with 1,000+ sensors.

Paul

asshat69

It's for multiple dancers with shoes in a installation type scenario where people can hop on and engage with the system as they like. Ideally it would be designed for the typical four to the floor, club music dance. 

By wear do you mean the wearing of the material of the supposed sensing surface or..........?

Paul_KD7HB

It's for multiple dancers with shoes in a installation type scenario where people can hop on and engage with the system as they like. Ideally it would be designed for the typical four to the floor, club music dance. 

By wear do you mean the wearing of the material of the supposed sensing surface or..........?
Yes, the sensing surface.

Have you computed how frequently you would need to scan the sensing floor to get the information you need? And how much information you need to compute the location of each foot or perhaps each toe and heel? You really need to do this before even investigating sensors.

Have you researched flooring sensors with Google?

Paul

Go Up