Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino Leonardo  (Read 3491 times)
Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Only down side I can see is SMD microcontroller.
In Massimo's talk at the Bay area Maker fair he said there will be a through hole version soon.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

I have a couple of Leonardino boards left if any one wants to try an interesting variation - small board, uSD socket with buffered signals and 3.3V regulator, micro USB-B connector.

PL http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/Leonardino_parts_list.xls

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

In Massimo's talk at the Bay area Maker fair he said there will be a through hole version soon.
I interpreted that as "there will be a version without any TH components (connectors, power socket) installed, which will be cheaper, and a version WITH the TH components that will be slightly more expensive but more compatible."
I don't think there is (or will be) a TH version of the AVR used on leonardo.

ਪੰਜਾਬ
Edison Member
Another year! Alone! :(
View Profile

The Leo. has many cool features, some that I found in the latest IDE release, but it is still a bit unknown and will take time to learn.

LIKE? Please detail if you can because I was not that much impressed with it rather than that intrinsic USB function, I think UNO is the best you can make it a HID using the DFU programming + you have that DIP processor too!

May be im missing things it can be so please elaborate on its functions

"Real Men can Accomplish  Anything"
-  Website  

ਫ਼ਤੇਹ ਕਰੂਂ !

Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Well as well as a very easy keyboard an mouse function you can also make it look like any USB HID device you like. For example it will be able to connect directly as a MIDI device without any translation applications on the PC with the attendant latency. Or it can be configured as a HID device of your choosing which is great for getting data into things like Quartz Composer.
The point is that rather than making it look like a USB device being an end in its self, it is ready built as a feature and is about the same price as a Uno.

Greenville, IL
Edison Member
Warning Novice on board! 0 to 1 chance of errors!
View Profile

@NI$HANT

Grumpy Mike said it better than I could.  ^^^^^^^

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

I think UNO is the best you can make it a HID using the DFU programming + you have that DIP processor too!
Yes but reflashing your ATmega328 becomes challenging. 

With the Leo, you can have it act as a HID device *and* keep its serial connection.  So you just keep clicking upload in the IDE.

With an Uno, you would have to:
1.  Flash the ATmega328 with your sketch.
2.  DFU the 8u2 into a HID device.
3.  Test your code.
4.  DFU the 8u2 back into a Serial Device.
5.  Go To 1.

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.c

ਪੰਜਾਬ
Edison Member
Another year! Alone! :(
View Profile

I think in this respect leaving some minor errors in PRO MICRO http://tenettech.com/product.php?id_product=1739 from SFE its alltogether totally same as the Leonardo, am i correct?

"Real Men can Accomplish  Anything"
-  Website  

ਫ਼ਤੇਹ ਕਰੂਂ !

Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

I don't know because that link said:-
You cannot access our store from your country. We apologize for the inconvenience.

However I doubt it.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

I think in this respect leaving some minor errors in PRO MICRO http://tenettech.com/product.php?id_product=1739 from SFE its alltogether totally same as the Leonardo, am i correct?
There are many ATmega32u4 boards on the market already that are compatible with the Leonardo bootloader.  The Teensy from PRJC, ATMega32u4 Breakout from Adafruit, this SFE board you mention, and I'm sure some others all can run the Leonardo bootloader today.

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.c

God Member
View Profile

Leonard may have "interesting" issues with running "serial IO" to a PC concurrently with a sketch, since it'll have to run "USB CDC/ACM" magically in the background.  The need for a USB stack will also cut down on the maximum user code size.

Solution: put a button on the HWB pin and forget about auto reset, take out the USB stuff from the core, and also you need to edit the fuse bits for this to work

Freelance engineer, consultant, contractor. Graduated from UW in 2013.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: