Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: GPS  (Read 557 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
GPS
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

has anyone here successfully interfaced with a GPS and been able to reliably read NMEA strings from it?

thanx,
jules.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Tutorials/GPS

Arduino Uno;
Mega328

Arduino rocks
View Profile

thank you for replying so fast! smiley

that is kind of what i'm looking for. my hardware serial port already is used for a datalogger, so i was planning on using a software serial port for the GPS. i thought it would be best this way around as there will be extra sensor data written to the logger besides the gps data. i.e. the datalogger port would be more heavily utilised. my problem is that the gps is spewing out so much data it's introducing random garbage into the datastream. smiley-sad

any ideas how to slow it down?

Faraday Member
View Profile

The baud rate (4800bps) is part of the NMEA standard.

Depending on the particular GPS, you can sometimes select which sentences get transmitted (pare it down to the minimum you need) and also reduce the frequency - 1Hz is typical, but you can reduce it to meet your needs.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but I've never done that myself, and it's GPS-specific anyway.

-j

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Thank you anyway smiley

I'm trying to throttle back the frequency of the data and not the baud rate, as you suggest. The GPS module is a GM-402 from USGlobalSat, and it uses a SiRFStarII chipset. I have the NMEA commands for reducing how often it sends the data, but it doesn't seem to be taking any notice of them! smiley-sad

According to the datasheet, the chipset supports 1200baud, but without the GPS module responing to commands, I can't set it to a lower speed anyway... smiley-sad

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: