Go Down

Topic: Help supply clock signal from Arduino (to debrick AVR) (Read 2144 times) previous topic - next topic

Jun 01, 2012, 07:54 am Last Edit: Jun 01, 2012, 07:57 am by Vaselinessa Reason: 1
In error, I set a fuse bit on my ATtiny85 to expect an external clock (lfuse:w:0x62:m) instead of a crystal (lfuse:w:0x6f:m).

That locked me out of running or reprogramming it, but I imagined I could reprogram it if I simply supplied the desired clock signal, using PWM from another Arduino. However, what I set up isn't doing the trick. Anybody care to help troubleshoot? (Or is the whole concept faulty?)

The setup

I'm using the Arduino UNO as ISP (that's also what I used to brick the ATtiny85).  I'm using the Arduino MEGA to supply a pulse for the clock.

The sketch on the Mega (for supplying the pulse) is as follows:

Code: [Select]
void setup()
{
 setup2560();
}

void setup2560()
{
 // OC0A is PB7, i.e. D13
 pinMode(13, OUTPUT);
 // PWM mode, non-inverted
 TCCR0A = (3<<WGM00) | (2<<COM0A0);
 // use Output Compare Register A, no prescaling
 TCCR0B = (1<<WGM02) | (1<<CS00);
 // Output Compare Register A
 OCR0A = 4;
}

void loop()
{
}

My command to avrdude is:
avrdude -p attiny85 -P com8     -c stk500v1    -b 19200 -U flash:w:main.hex

The error message
avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0x000000
avrdude.exe: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
            Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
            this check.

The error message is exactly what it was when the ATtiny85 had a crystal hooked up instead of the Arduino MEGA. (And same as when nothing was connected for clock.)

I didn't do any math to ensure that my MEGA's pulse frequency should equal the 16MHz which I instructed the ATtiny85 to expect (back when I bricked it). But I don't suppose that matters so much as the fact that the pulse is well over four times as fast as the programmer's Overriding Baud Rate of 19200 (which I set in the args for avrdude).

jwatte

I'm assuming the hook-up is correct, but you really should check it against the data sheet for the device.

Did you look at that clock on a scope? It should have the same duty cycle for "on" as for "off." If "4" is your compare value, the PWM should run with TOP=8.

Also, when running with a slower clock, you should use a higher delay value in the ISP. You may need to delay as much as 1 millisecond between each bit. With avrdude, this is the -i option. Start with -i 100 and see how it goes.

Nick Gammon

I uploaded that and got no output. However this outputs 4 MHz:

void setup()
{
  setup2560();
}

void setup2560()
{
  // OC0A is PB7, i.e. D13
  pinMode(13, OUTPUT);
  // CTC, toggle output
  TCCR0A = (1<<WGM01) | (1<<COM0A0);
  // no prescaling
  TCCR0B = (1<<CS00);
  // Output Compare Register A
  OCR0A = 1;
}

void loop()
{
}
Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info:
http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

Coding Badly

In error, I set a fuse bit on my ATtiny85 to expect an external clock (lfuse:w:0x62:m) instead of a crystal (lfuse:w:0x6f:m).

Which core are you using that you have to set the fuses "by hand"?

(Or is the whole concept faulty?)

The concept is not faulty.  It works well.  Supply a reasonable clock (I typically use 1 MHz for no particle reason) to the XTAL1 pin and you're good to go.

I didn't do any math to ensure that my MEGA's pulse frequency should equal the 16MHz which I instructed the ATtiny85 to expect (back when I bricked it). But I don't suppose that matters so much

It doesn't.  Any clock should work.

In addition to Nick's code, Lady Ada has published a version of ArduinoISP that outputs a "recovery clock".  If Nick's code doesn't help and you have trouble finding Lady Ada's sketch, send me a Personal Message; I have something that works.

Nick Gammon

I have another stand-alone sketch for the Atmega328:

// For Atmega328

void setup ()
  {
  // set up 8 MHz timer on pin 9
  pinMode (9, OUTPUT);
  // set up Timer 1
  TCCR1A = _BV (COM1A0);  // toggle OC1A on Compare Match
  TCCR1B = _BV(WGM12) | _BV(CS10);   // CTC, no prescaling
  OCR1A =  0;       // output every cycle
  }

void loop () {}
Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info:
http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

Wow! Thank you all for your assistance. (NIck's code worked great for de-bricking to ATtiny.)

jwatte, I have no oscilloscope. Perhaps that will be on my wish list ere long.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy