Go Down

Topic: New Uno R3 not putting out 5V (Read 500 times) previous topic - next topic

snetram

Hello,

I just opened my brand new Arduino UNO R3 yesterday.  I was able to get the "Hello World!" blinking light sketch to run right away and then decided to try something a little more sophisticated.  I wanted to build the 'Capacitance Meter' exactly as described on this page:

http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/CapacitanceMeter

I copied the code almost entirely and configured my board with a 220 ohm resistor between the charge pin and the rest of the circuit as well as a 220 ohm resistor between the circuit and the discharge pin as described in the schematic.  I used a 100uF capacitor as a test.  When I ran the sketch, no capacitance values were printed on the serial monitor.

To troubleshoot, I began sending messages to the screen to indicate where in the program it was breaking down and what I determined was that it got caught up in a while loop because the analogPin never reached 63.2% of the maximum voltage.  I modified the code to give me a reading of the chargePin just before it entered the while loop and found that the chargePin was only putting out approximately 2-2.5 V instead of the expected 5V. 

Here is the code that I used.  You can see that the chargePin is set as output and set to HIGH and still doesn't put out 5V

Code: [Select]
#define analogPin      0          // analog pin for measuring capacitor voltage
#define chargePin      13         // pin to charge the capacitor - connected to one end of the charging resistor
#define dischargePin   11         // pin to discharge the capacitor
#define resistorValue  220.0F   // change this to whatever resistor value you are using
                                  // F formatter tells compliler it's a floating point value

unsigned long startTime;
unsigned long elapsedTime;
float microFarads;                // floating point variable to preserve precision, make calculations
float nanoFarads;

void setup(){
  pinMode(chargePin, OUTPUT);     // set chargePin to output
  digitalWrite(chargePin, LOW); 

Serial.begin(9600);   // initialize serial transmission for debugging
}

void loop(){
  digitalWrite(chargePin, HIGH);  // set chargePin HIGH and capacitor charging
    int chargeValue = analogRead(chargePin);
      Serial.print("Charge pin is: ");
      Serial.println(chargeValue);   // chargePin gives result that corresponds to ~2.5 volts instead of 5V

int analogValue = analogRead(analogPin);
       Serial.print("Analog pin is: ");
       Serial.println(analogValue);

startTime = millis();
  Serial.println(millis());

while(analogRead(analogPin) < 648){      // 647 is 63.2% of 1023, which corresponds to full-scale voltage
    Serial.println(analogValue);  //analogPin never gets above 2.5V meaning it will never reach the desired 63.2% and will stay in this loop forever
  }

I really didn't do anything crazy with the board yet...I've only had it a day! So I can't imagine that I'd have fried a pin already??  If you have any suggestions or need clarification, let me know.  Thanks!

CrossRoads

100uF is a lot to charge up. Does it go higher eventually?
If you have the 2nd resistor connected to Gnd all the time, now you have a voltage divider that will never exceed 2.5V.
The resistor to Gnd should only connect to Gnd when you want to discharge the cap.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

snetram

The weird thing is that it still happens when I make a simple LED blinking program.  For this all I have is a 220 Ohm resistor coming from pin 6 to an LED which returns to GND.  Nothing else is in the circuit.  The voltages for pin 6 at both HIGH and LOW come out between 2-2.5V yet the LED still blinks.  I'm starting to think that I am not measuring the voltage that I think I am measuring.  Why would the LED pin blink if the voltage never changed?

Code: [Select]
int led = 6;

void setup() {               
  pinMode(led, OUTPUT); 
  Serial.begin(9600); 
}

void loop() {

digitalWrite(led, HIGH);  // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level)
  int pinValue = analogRead(led);
  float voltage = pinValue * (5.0/1023.0);  //convert to volts

Serial.print("HIGH: ");
  Serial.println(voltage); // Here I am expecting 5V but its only showing up around 2V

delay(1000);               // wait for a second
  digitalWrite(led, LOW);    // turn the LED off by making the voltage LOW

pinValue = analogRead(led);
  voltage = pinValue * (5.0/1023.0);
  delay(1000);      // wait for a second

Serial.print("LOW: ");
  Serial.println(voltage);  // Here I am expecting 0V but it returns around 2V
}

CrossRoads

That does sound like a meter-misuse problem.

You have one lead on a board Gnd connection?
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

snetram

Yup.  The circuit is pin 6 --> 220 Ohm resistor --> LED --> GND.  I don't own a voltmeter yet but I'm going to try to get one and measure the voltage between pin 6 and GND when set to HIGH. 

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy