Go Down

Topic: MAC address sticker? (Read 558 times) previous topic - next topic

I got a bunch of Ethernet Shields R3 (with POE) today and they don't have a MAC address sticker either in the box or affixed to the board itself unlike the website description and photos of the shields that I've seen on the net. Do current shields not come with the sticker any more? (I've never bought an official Ethernet Shield.)

I know I'm supposed to program in my own MAC address any way, but it would have been nice to not have to come up with a random one and have to keep track of the random numbers.

Nick Gammon

I don't think the MAC address persists past your router. Feel free to make up your own.

In any case, the idea of a "hardware" MAC address doesn't make a heap of sense when it is just coded into software.
Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info:
http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

PeterO

You've probably looked there already, but the stickers are on the underside of my ethernet shields.

PeterO

zoomkat

I know I'm supposed to program in my own MAC address any way, but it would have been nice to not have to come up with a random one and have to keep track of the random numbers.

Duh! Just write your mac address on the bottom of the board with a sharpie if you struggle with keeping track.
Google forum search: Use Google Advanced Search and use Http://forum.arduino.cc/index in the "site or domain:" box.

Go Up