Go Down

Topic: Arduino Serial Communication with Python (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

jbolt

I am trying to get serial communication working between my Arduino and Python.  I am new at this, but I have tested several examples, none of which worked.  This was only supposed to be the initial step in a larger project, but I have run into a brick wall.

I know that serial communication is working between my computer and my Arduino as I can upload programs and I can see results from the Arduino in the Arduino Serial Monitor.  So the problem likely lies with Python.   I am running Python 3.2 on Windows 7 (64 bit).  It seems possible that the problem may be in pySerial.

I keep getting the following error:

File "C:\Python32\lib\site-packages\serial\serialwin32.py", line 236, in read
raise SerialException("ReadFile failed (%s)" % ctypes.WinError())
serial.serialutil.SerialException: ReadFile failed ([Error 6] The handle is invalid.)

The same error message occurs with multiple examples. 

Can anyone help?  I'm stuck at this point.   I'd have posted the code, but I really don't believe the problem is in the code, as I have copied exactly some of the examples that purport to show how serial communications works between Arduino and Python. 

I checked many places on the Internet, which pointed me in the direction of a problem with 32bit vs 64bit environment.   I've tried installing a new version of pySerial as well as a new version of win32.py, again, with no joy.

Is this problem specific to Windows 7? Is it Python 3.2? Is it pySerial?   Is it win32.py?  Could it be my setup?

I appreciate any help.

jbolt

jbolt

For anyone reading these posts, I believe I have solved the problem and as usual, it was a user(meaning me) problem.  The problem stemmed from not properly installing pySerial.  After I rectified that issue, things seemed to go much more smoothly. 

For any other newbies like me(especially those who are more familiar with Windows than with Unix), if you download a .tar.gz from pyPI, you must take 3 steps. 

1. Uncompress it
2. Extract it.
3. Install(build) it.

You can do the first two steps with 7-zip.  The 3rd step will depend on the package and the requirements for your environment.

Try searching for how to install python packages + windows/linux/osx/etc.

Hope this is helpful.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy