Go Down

Topic: Sensing a contact between two point (Read 332 times) previous topic - next topic

arvand

Hello \

I am  brainstorming about a project that involves a statistical count to calculate the number pi. The problem is consisted of a flat surface with 2 very thin parallel lines separated from each other distance "s". I now release a matchstick like piece on this surface that also has length "s". All I need to be able to do is to detect a hit if the matchstick is in contact with one of the lines on this surface.

I though of a simple switch as the surface could be differently charged than the parallel lines and the stick could be simply  wire acting as a conductor, however, As the medium is water or oil the conduction property will fail...  

I am open to any suggestions from image processing to capacitor/resistance sensors. really anything that is out there that can help.

Thank you in advance!

I d appreciate any help/ pointers on this.

MarkT

How would the medium being oil be any different from the case of air?
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

BillO

Jul 06, 2013, 01:42 am Last Edit: Jul 06, 2013, 01:44 am by BillO Reason: 1
Put an light beam down each line at the surface level.

For a beam generator, use an LED that shines through 2 collimated holes, each the approximate size of the diameter of the object.  You'll need two of these, one for each line  Use 2 photo transistors at the other end of each line behind a screen to detect the beams.  The screen will have the same holes as the collimator.  Laser LEDs would work best.  See the attached drawing.
Facts just don't care if you ignore them.

Go Up