Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: curious battery problem  (Read 506 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

i used arduino to control one toy motor with L298N,  the motor  only want 3-5V voltage . I just have a  AC/DC adaptor which can output 9v 1A ,So i used it to supply the arduino and L298N. because the motor is small ,i used a 78L05 to get 5v  for L298n Pin4 and connect the adaptor output directly to arduino external powerin .  but the arduino seem not to work and blink and the outpin (should high) have no result. After five or later minutes, it work and not blink.  i think maybe the adaptor not provide enough current for arduino,but the adaptor output is 1A and 9v , is not enough to driver a small motor and arduino??

God Member
Arduino rocks!
View Profile

i used arduino to control one toy motor with L298N,  the motor  only want 3-5V voltage . I just have a  AC/DC adaptor which can output 9v 1A ,So i used it to supply the arduino and L298N. because the motor is small ,i used a 78L05 to get 5v  for L298n Pin4 and connect the adaptor output directly to arduino external powerin .  but the arduino seem not to work and blink and the outpin (should high) have no result. After five or later minutes, it work and not blink.  i think maybe the adaptor not provide enough current for arduino,but the adaptor output is 1A and 9v , is not enough to driver a small motor and arduino??

Check the specs on your motor.  Those cheap low voltage motors take 2 amps easily.  Your 1A power supply doesn't come close.

Also, 298N has a minimum motor voltage of 5V (and up to 46V).  It doesn't play well with low voltage motors.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

when i used USB supply for Arduino, It work well.I Want to know when arduino use external supply ,what is its working voltage and working current? if i use the usb power , i have two power source, it is nonsense. anybody can shed a light ?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 01:41:05 am by cxl2253 » Logged

God Member
Arduino rocks!
View Profile

If you mean the USB supply for Arduino and the 9V adaptor for the motors, what's happening to you makes sense.  The motor is putting a huge load and a lot of noise on the power power supply.  The supply can not keep a stable 9V at such a high current, so the voltage drops down.  When it drops too
far, it causes a brownout on the Arduino and the Arduino resets.

Even if you got a 2 amp supply, you'd probably have the same problem because of noise.  You can try putting a decoupling capacitor across the power supply near the ATMEGA chip on the Arduino and maybe a second one across the power input to the Arduino board.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

thanks ,oracle, do you mean i should put two capacitor, one across the  two wires of motor and one for power supply between Arduino. in fact i have put one 104 capacitor across the two wires  of motor,but it still not work . should i put anotor between power supply. i will try it. thanks again.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: