Go Down

Topic: Simple assignment operator not working! [SOLVED] (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

Nick Gammon

However something very strange happens when i take the //comment from the line '//heading = heading + temp4'. 'heading' seems to become a null variable or something, and the 'if' comparisons that check the heading against the RC angle stop working entirely.

Yeah, it's like it's Not A Number any more. <grin>

AWOL

I can't believe it's Not A Number tm    :smiley-yell:
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Coding Badly

Xenophage

SOLVED!!! Step by step I backed through my math, setting variables as simple numbers, until I came across the TRUE trouble code. 'enctickL' becomes 0 when the robot isn't moving, and i was doing 1/0 which becomes NaN! I didn't think anything of it at first because it was reporting regular numbers. This was then filtering down through the math and eventually showing itself at 'heading = heading + angleinc'. I added two if statements to change them from 0 to 999999 to my main code and it worked! Thank you guys so much for the help! I'm feeling much better about bringing my robot in to class today!

Code: [Select]

enctickL = pulseIn(encpinL, HIGH, 40000);
enctickR = pulseIn(encpinR, HIGH, 40000);

temp1 = 1.0 / (float)enctickL;//temp1 = ticks per millisecond
temp2 = 1.0 / (float)enctickR;

mromani

If you feel the problem is solved, please consider adding [SOLVED] to the topic title. :-)

Nick Gammon

Coding Badly

No F?

if (isnan (number))
    return print ( F( "nan" ) );

Nick Gammon

They may not want the overhead of the progmem library, if a sketch was not otherwise using it.

But you could always comment on the Google Code board.

Nick Gammon

What about this, a few lines down:

// Print the decimal point, but only if there are digits beyond
  if (digits > 0) {
    n += print(".");

That could be:

if (digits > 0) {
    n += print(F("."));

Or perhaps better:

if (digits > 0) {
    n += print('.');

Coding Badly

But you could always comment on the Google Code board.

Naw.  Seems like rather low hanging fruit (especially the print(".") in your post) and was curious.

Go Up