Go Down

Topic: [SOLVED] Arduino IDE 1.01 "An error occurred while starting the application." (Read 12943 times) previous topic - next topic

rekram

Hi!
I have Win 7 x86, Arduino IDE 0023 is working great, but the last version has problem to open.
I see this error, and nothing happens. I have java 7 Rountime installed, but I think it doesn' matter because Arduino has his own java in folder.

Any suggestions?


Louis Davis

There has been some indication that a corrupt preferences.txt file can prevent the IDE from launching.

Try deleting your preferences.text file.
It can be found in the following location, depending on what version of Windows you have:

c:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\Arduino\preferences.txt (Windows XP)
c:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Arduino\preferences.txt (Windows Vista\Windows 7)


Louis Davis

Where do you have Arduino 1.0.1 installed?

For example, I have all of my versions of Arduino installed in these locations:
C:\arduino\arduino-1.0\
C:\arduino\arduino-1.0.1\

What is the error message your are seeing?

szary

Hi,
I have exactly the same problem. I just tried IDE 1.0 and it's working great. When I'm trying to run 1.0.1 after couple of seconds I'm getting this:

Launch4j
An error occurred while starting the application.

I've run "arduino.exe --l4j-debug" command, and the results are (seem to be fine):

CmdLine:   D:\arduino-1.0.1\arduino.exe --l4j-debug
WOW64:      yes
Working dir:   D:\arduino-1.0.1\.
Bundled JRE:   java
Check launcher:   D:\arduino-1.0.1\java\bin\javaw.exe (OK)
Add classpath:   lib\pde.jar
Add classpath:   lib\core.jar
Add classpath:   lib\jna.jar
Add classpath:   lib\ecj.jar
Add classpath:   lib\RXTXcomm.jar
Launcher:   D:\arduino-1.0.1\java\bin\javaw.exe
Launcher args:   -Xms128m -Xmx128m -classpath "lib;D:\arduino-1.0.1\java\lib\tools.jar;lib\pde.jar;lib\core.jar;lib\jna.jar;lib\ecj.jar;lib\RXTXcomm.jar" processing.app.Base
Args length:   156/32768 chars

IDE 1.0 works great from "D:\arduino-1.0"

Edit: Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I just tried to run 1.0.1 on second machine (but still Windows 7 x64) but I'm having the same error :(

szary

I found a walkaround on arduino IDE code.google site. Get the 1.0.1 RC2 IDE (http://files.arduino.cc/downloads/arduino-1.0.1-rc2-windows.zip) and replace lib/pde.jar from 1.0.1 with RC2 version. Works fine in my case.

JimboZA

I sometimes get that message with 101, sometimes not, which in itself is a bit of an issue- intermittent problems are notoriously tricky to deal with.

BUT, even when I do get the error message, it seems to start up and run fine anyway!
My hovercraft is full of eels.

No PMs for help please.
DO NOT power servos from Arduino 5V: give them their own power and connect the grounds.

mellis

I think this is a problem with the Polish translation.  It included a translation of an internal string (used as a Date format); the translation makes the string invalid and there's an exception on startup.  You could try putting your computer into a language other than Polish or editing the editor.languages.current preference in your preferences.txt file (e.g. setting it to "en").

See: http://code.google.com/p/arduino/issues/detail?id=942

rekram

@mellis  big thanks for you and everyone who tried to help, setting
Code: [Select]
editor.languages.current=en
fixed the problem! :D

I have English version of Windows, but I use Polish keyboard and regional settings, probably that's why Arduino IDE try to set Polish language.
I added [SOLVED] to the topic name.

Marek

Solution comming form http://rc-fpv.pl/viewtopic.php?p=105060

there is a problem with java engine initiation with languages/locales other than en/US
Solution is: create a.cmd file with one line:
java\bin\java -Duser.language=en -Duser.country=US -classpath "lib;lib\pde.jar;lib\core.jar;lib\jna.jar;lib\ecj.jar;lib\RXTXcomm.jar" processing.app.Base

and start Arduino by calling a.cmd - not arduino.exe

addded to Issues - ID# 952


There has been some indication that a corrupt preferences.txt file can prevent the IDE from launching.

Try deleting your preferences.text file.


Worked for me!

It had been starting very slow - after a wait of 1 min or so. Now starts after 5 sec.  The only preference I recall changing is "Use external editor".  Running 1.0.3 here under XP. I re selected "use external editor" and it is still OK.  Will keep an eye on it. 

Thanks!!!

voodou


Go Up