I think I might have solved the problem, but I will see if it continues to work.
I decided since that port was busy, I would create another serial port.
The apple help for this was good. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.6/en/5181.html
I created a new modem serial port '/dev/tty/Serial Port' and went back into the Arduino program.
I looked for the new serial port -- then I noticed that additional serial ports were now on the menu with numbers after them as you had talked about.
I tried that serial port and it worked.
Now I do not have the board hooked up, but opening the Arduino program, the port with the numbers following has disappeared . . . but the new port is there.
Stay tuned, when I get back from work I will be hooking it all up and trying again.
However, I did get it to work last night using this method.
I don't know why . . .
The USB cable works fine and the board responded perfectly -- the problem is in the Mac seeing the serial ports.
Thanks for your input and ideas.