Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Transformer question  (Read 1253 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Well, those that weren't produced in Taiwan between 1999 and 2007, anyway. smiley-razz

Anaheim CA.
Faraday Member
View Profile

No young man they were, really cheap stuff from Taiwan and China too, cheaper stuff really mostly crap. Panasonic and Craig ans Sony were available as well as a host of others, some of premier quality Nakamichi... over the past 10 the manufacturers paradigm has changed in many ways. Quality over all even considering the ROHS requirement approaches 98 % over all. Thin\gs, new fail so infrequently that they (complex electronics) electronics boards get a cursory examination and then they are tested, module by module and in many cases these few fall outs are easily repaired those that aren't are crushed as waste or in some cases sold as scrap... I'm sorry this is a hell of answer... Sorry I'll leave it but it really wasn't the answer. Yeah they were hard to find, the american ones costing half of the price of the radio and not fitting very well mechanically or physically. It's late and I digress too far, think I will cut it short...

Doc

--> WA7EMS <--
“The solution of every problem is another problem.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

View Profile

I was talking about the capacitor plague, from a faulty electrolyte formula that was popular among many Taiwanese manufacturers.  It caused many capacitors to fail within about two years of use.

Anaheim CA.
Faraday Member
View Profile

Yeah I do remember that still causes me to 'hesitate' when someone asks me to fix or restore anything from that Era, sure made me a lot of money back in the day... I used to go from TV shop to TV shop repairing small items piecemeal... $100.00 each and I usually could do 2 or 3, 2 or 3 times a day. Typical net in 1972 was $100/day... and got unemployment as all the money was 'under the table' Great times...

Doc

--> WA7EMS <--
“The solution of every problem is another problem.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: