Go Down

Topic: machine learning on arduino (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

clifgray

I have been doing some research on machine learning and artificial intelligence and began to wonder if any type of machine learning experiments or basic AI concepts have been tested on the arduino.

I understand they would be very basic but it could be a cool way to test some ideas on a basic car platform with obstacle avoidance or color seeking or something of that sort.

Does anyone know if anything like this has been tested and is the processor can handle things like this.  (I know that was a little vague but I'm just looking for general answers.

Thanks!

Grumpy_Mike

Machine learning involves altering  behaviour from experience. Normally this is done with self modifying code. You can't do this with an arduino, so what you would have to do is to use the EEPROM to control it.
So you need to find an application where you can do this.

cr0sh

Machine learning involves altering  behaviour from experience. Normally this is done with self modifying code. You can't do this with an arduino, so what you would have to do is to use the EEPROM to control it.
So you need to find an application where you can do this.

Machine learning is -not- normally done with "self modifying code", at least not from what I recall in the free machine learning course I took last year (https://www.coursera.org/course/ml).

What ML does require, though, in many cases, is more than a bit of RAM, of which is in short supply with a standard Arduino. That said, you could probably easily implement many ML algorithms within the context of a Mega, perhaps coupled with a RAM expansion.

You might even be able to implement some ML algorithms on a standard Arduino, provided you keep things very modest; I am sure algos like linear regression could be implemented, among others. I have also seen examples of small neural-nets done using an Arduino (though those tend to be RAM hungry).

I would encourage you, clifgray, to investigate the above class on ML if this is a topic which interests you...
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

clifgray

Great I actually just signed up for it the other day but then forgot about it so now I have some motivation to take it.  I'll report back on here if I stumble upon anything really neat.

Thanks!

Go Up